YUTA Haruo Tohoku Univ., of Physics Professor, 理学部, 教授 (90108457)
MORI Shigeki Univ. of Tukuba, I. of Appl. Phys. Professor, 理工系, 教授 (60100822)
NAGASHIMA Yorikiyo Osaka Univ., Dept. Of Physics Professor, 理学部, 教授 (90044768)
KONDO Takahiko Nat. Lab. for High Energy Phys. Professor, 教授 (30150006)
KAJIKAWA Ryoichi Nagoya Univ., Dept. of Physics Professor, 理学部, 教授 (40022537)
|Budget Amount *help
¥12,200,000 (Direct Cost: ¥12,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1991: ¥5,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥5,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1990: ¥6,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥6,900,000)
The studies at the hadoron colliders, such as, SppS (CERN) and Tevatron (FNAL), and the electron-positron colliders, such as, TRISTAN (KEK), SLC (Stanford) and LEP (CERN), have brought us the rapid increase in our knowledge on the elementary particles. Recenty, the project of Superconducting Super Collider, so called SSC, has started to construct a 20 x 20 GeV proton-proton collider to shed some light on the standard model, searches of the top-quark and Higgs boson, the electroweak symmetry breaking and so on. The SCC is expected to enable us to study the elementary processes in the TeV energy region.
Under this project, the conceptional design of the solenoidal detector, (SDC), aimed at pursuing broad range of physics goals at the SSC was settled in the first year, 1990, under the international collaboration. Then, during the second year, 1991, choices and design of each detector components were discussed and tested to realize the proposed specifications. The final design at present is as follows :
1. The superconducting solenoid magnet having the tracking volume of 3.4m in diameter and 8m long.
2. The central tracking and high resolution vertex detectors covering |eta|<2.5, with the inner silicon strip and pixel systems and outer gas/wire or scintillating-fiber system.
3. The precision hermetic calorimeter covering |eta|<3 and consisting of scintillating tile with fiber readout with lead/iron absorbers or liquid argon with lead absorbers.
4. The forward calorimeter covering 3<|eta|<5.
5. The muon system with iron magnetic toroids covering |eta|<2.5, with tracking chambers, scintillation and Cherenkov counters.
The simulation shows that the SDC detector is sensitive to search the Higgs boson of 120-800 GeV with the enough efficency and sufficient resolution within one year machine running and that the top-quark of 250 Gev is also detectable, so that the SDC is expected to be a general purpose detector at the SDC.