Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Kochi Medical School |
HASHIGUCHI Yoshihisa Kochi Medical School, Faculty of Medicine, Professor, 医学部, 教授 (10037385)
フラード M.H. グアヤキル大学, 医学部, 教授
ラッソー S. R.F. グアヤキル大学, 医学部, 教授
ルンベア G. J. グアヤキル大学, 医学部, 教授
ゴメス E.A. カトリカ大学, 医学部, 教授
MATSUMOTO Yoshitsugu University of Tokyo, Institute of Animal Resource Sciences, Associate Professor, 農学部, 助教授 (00173922)
KATAKURA Ken The Jikei University School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Assistance Profess, 医学部, 講師 (10130155)
MIMORI Tatsuyuki Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Associate Professor, 医学部, 助教授 (00117384)
ESHITA Yuki Kurume University School of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Assistance Professor, 医学部, 講師 (10082223)
HOSOKAWA Atsushi University of the Ryukyus, Faculty of Medicine, Assistance Professor, 医学部, 講師 (10181497)
FURUYA Masato Kochi Medical School, Faculty of Medicine, Associate Professor, 医学部, 助教授 (00035437)
NONAKA Shigeo University of the Ryukyus, Faculty of Medicine, Professor, 医学部, 教授 (10039571)
LAZO S. Ramon f Universited de Guayaquil.Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Professor
GUZMAN Jose rumbea Universitad de Guayaquil Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Professor
GOMEZ L. Eduardo a Universitad de Catolica Sentiago de Guayaquil, Facultad de Medicina, Professor
JURADO S. Miguel h Universited de Guayaquil, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Professor
ルンベアG. J グアヤキル大学, 医学部, 教授
森 順彦 日本歯科大学, 歯学部, 助手 (20256986)
J.ルンベアG. グアヤキル大学, 医学部, 教授
|Project Period (FY)
1993 – 1995
Completed (Fiscal Year 1995)
|Budget Amount *help
¥20,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥20,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1995: ¥7,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥7,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1994: ¥6,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥6,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1993: ¥7,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥7,000,000)
|Keywords||Ecuador / Cutaneous leishmaniasis / Patients / Mephaquin / Plasmotrim / Experimental animals / Oral treatment / Skin biopsy / Antimalarial drugs / 抗マラリア剤 / メフロキン / アルテサネート / 電顕病理 / アネルギー / エクアドル / サシチョウバエ / 二次感染 / Leishmania / 皮膚病変 / 分子生物学|
In this fiscal year, the following items were mainly carried out : 1) the treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis patients with antimalarial drugs ; 2) identification of parasites isolated in different endemic areas of Ecuador ; and 3) some laboratory experiments using materials collected in the field.
1) When 115 isolates from Ecuador were examined by ELISA using 9 monoclonal antibodies, 66 were L.panamensis ; 18, L.mexicana ; 8, L.major-like ; 4, L.braziliensis ; and 2. L.equatorensis. however, 17 isolates were not identified by the present method.
2) When Ecuadorian patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis were treated with Mephaquin and Plasmotrim, antimalarial drugs, the majority of them were curative between 2 and 4 weeks after the commencement of the oral treatment showing 100% cure rate. The results obtained in this study are excellent when compared with the parenteral treatment with antimonials. Therefore, the effects of these antimalarial drugs should be tested for other clinical forms of leishmaniasis such as DCL,VL,MCL and PKDL.
3) In laboratory studies using the antimalarial drugs mentioned above, no clear-cut curative effect was observed in mice or other experimental animals. Such a discrepancy between animals and humans might be caused by the difference of the action mode of the drug used.
4) Electron microscopic examinations of skin biopsies from treated patients with the antimalarial drugs revealed that there was an interesting morphological change in Leishmania organisms and the infected cells, macrophages.
5) In order to know the role of P-glycoprotein from Ecuadorian Leishmania amazonensis, the relating gene was isolated and all the base pair arrangement was sequenced. The results obtained suggested that the gene might be a new P-glycoprotein of the genus Leishmania.