Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Section||University-to-University Cooperative Research|
|Research Institution||Kobe University |
IGAWA Kazuhiro Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, Professor, 経済経営研究所, 教授 (80031392)
IMADA Pearl Department of Economics, University of Hawaii, Associate Professor, 経済学部, 助教授
MAK James Department of Economics, University of Hawaii, Professor, 経済学部, 教授
LEE Chung Department of Economics, University of Hawaii, Professor, 経済学部, 教授
NAYA Seiji Department of Economics, University of Hawaii, Professor, 経済学部, 教授
MCCLEERY Robert k. Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, Ass, 経済経営研究所, 助教授 (90252808)
NISHIJIMA Shoji Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, Pro, 経済経営研究所, 教授 (70116234)
ABE Shigeyuki Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, Pro, 経済経営研究所, 教授 (60140076)
|Project Period (FY)
1994 – 1995
Completed(Fiscal Year 1995)
|Budget Amount *help
¥3,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥1,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥2,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,100,000)
|Keywords||Asian-Pacific region / Direct foreign investments and international trades / Revealed comparative advantage / Economic developments / APEC / Regional integration / ASEAN / NAFTA / Intra-industy trade|
For the development of Asian countries, US emphasizes the role of liveralization of international trade and investment. On the other hand, Japan emphasize the way of gradual liberalization. These differences come from the differences of economic structure and comparative-adbantages between Us and Japan, and also historical relations with Asian countries of the two countries.
1. In the first year of the two years research projects, we investigated the facts and changes in the economies of Asia-Pacific area, and the second year we got policy recommendations about the role of US and Japan of Asian coutries. More specifically, using data of international trades and direct investments, we analyzed
(1) revealed comparative advantage and index of structural changes in Asia-Pacific region
(2) Intra-industry index of this region
(3)relations between trade (intra-industry trade9 and direct foreign investment8 multi-national enterprises)
(4) eveluation of regional integration of APEC, ASEAN, and NAFTA
2. The main results are as follows.
(1) Intra-industry trade in increasing in Asia-Pacific Area, especially the products of capital-intensive or high-tech industries.
(2)International division of labor of production processes also increased, and Japan exports capital goods and imports manufacturing products of Japaness subsidiary firmsin Asian countries.
(3) US has comparative advantages in service industries, and Japan shoul cathc up to US through the policies of deregulation and increase of competition.
(4) Japan shoul play the role of mediator between US and Asian countries.
(5) Among Asian-pacific coutries, the attitude for liberalization for international trades and investments is different.
(6) APEC, ASEAN, and NAFTA have their own important roles in Asia Pacific region.
3. In addition to this Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research, we could make more efficient researches, using the chances of visiting professor's positions between Kobe university and University of Hawaii.