Evolutionary Studies of Heterochrony in Tropical Plants
Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||University of Tokyo |
KATO Masahiro University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Science, Professor, 大学院・理学系研究科, 教授 (20093221)
OKADA Hiroshi Osaka City University, Faculty of Science, Professor, 理学部, 教授 (40089892)
SETOGUCHI Hiroaki Tokyo Metropolitan University, Faculty of Science, Research Associate, 理学部, 助手 (70206647)
IMAICHI Ryoko Japan Women's University, Faculty of Science, Professor, 理学部, 教授 (60112752)
TSUKAYA Hirokazu University of Tokyo, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, Research A, 分子細胞生物学研究所, 助手 (90260512)
TITIEN Propt インドネシア国立生物学研究開発センター, 助手
DEDY Darnaed インドネシア国立生物学研究開発センター, 主任研究員
AZIZ Bidin. 国立マレーシア大学, 理学部, 助教授
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1997
Completed (Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥26,100,000 (Direct Cost: ¥26,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1997: ¥8,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥8,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1996: ¥8,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥8,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1995: ¥9,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥9,300,000)
|Keywords||Tropical plants / Heterochrong / Evolution / Molecular phylogeny / Morphology / Monophyllaea / Rheophytes / Matoniaseae / 遺伝|
1. Various kinds of plant materials were collected from Malay Peninsula, Sarawak and Sabah, Malaysia, and Celebes, Seram (Moluccas) and Sumatra, Indonesia. Using those, the following studies were conducted.
2. An analysis of molecular phylogenetic relationships among species of Monophyllaea (Gesneriaceae) based on matK sequences is going on. A comparative analysis will be made with previous classifications of the genus based on morphological characters.
3. Morphogenetic and histochemical studies have been carried out of extremely unequal cotyledons of Monophyllaea horsfieldii and M.hirtella. Morphogenesis takes place at the base of one of two cotyledons, which grows into a common foliage leaf. A non-apical, intercalary meristem appears at the base of the cotyledon. Which cotyledon enlarges is due to competition between two cotyledons. In the annual species M.glabra, the meristem disappears during its reproductive phase much earlier than in most perennial species. However, in the presumably annual (or monocarpous) M.minima (nom.nud.), the meristem remains during the reproductive phase. In M.singularis with inflorescenses arising on the petiolode, the petiolode, meristem appears between two cotyledons, whereas in most other species, the meristem appears below two cotyledons.
4. A molecular phylogenetic analysis of Matoniaceae showed that Matonia and Phanerosorus are closely related, through they are morphologically distinct. Observations of heteroblastic leaf morphology of the genera suggest that the pinnate, pendulous Phanerosorus leaves were derived from the pedate Matonia leaves.
5. Field observations suggested that our collections include rheophytes that were recently derived from land species, and those that were speciated secondarily from rheophytes. They will be useful for further studies of speciation involving heterochrony.
Report (4 results)
Research Products (13 results)