KIRTIBUTR Nit Kasetsart University, Assistant professor, カセサート大学・農学部・昆虫学, 助教授
SLAYTOR M 豪, シドニー大学・生化学教室, 助教授
KAMBHAMPATI Srini Dept.of Entomology, Kansas State University, Assistant professor, カンザス州立大学, 助教授
THORNE B 米, メリーランド大学, 助教授
BIGNELL David School of Biological Sciences Queen Mary & Westfield College, Professor, ロンドン大学, 教授
HOLT J 豪, CSIRO, 主任教授
SUGIMOTO Atsuko Center for Ecological Research Kyoto University, Associate Professor, 生態研センター, 助教授 (50235892)
TAKADA Hiroshi Faculty of Agriculture Kyoto University, Assistant Professor, 農学部, 助教授 (60109048)
YAMAMURA Norio Center for Ecological Research Kyoto University, Professor, 生態研センター, 教授 (70124815)
HIGASHI Masahiko Center for Ecological Research Kyoto University, Professor, 生態研センター, 教授 (40183917)
MATSUMOTO Tadao Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, Profes, 教養学部, 教授 (90106609)
SLAYTOR Michael Dept.of Biochemistry The University of Sydney, Associate Professor
THOME Barbara L Dept.of Entomology University of Maryland, Assistant Professor
HOLT John A CSIRO,Division of Soils, Davies Laboratory, Researcher
SLAYTOR M. 豪, シドニー大学・生化学教室, 助教授
KIRTIBUTR N. タイ, カセサート大学・農学部・昆虫学, 助教授
KAMBHAMPATI エス 米, カンザス州立大学, 助教授
THORNE B. 米, メリーランド大学, 助教授
BIGNELL D.E. 英, ロンドン大学, 教授
HOLT J. 豪, GSIRO, 主任教授
GRIMARDI D. 自然史博物館(米), 室長
|Budget Amount *help
¥13,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥13,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1996: ¥6,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥6,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1995: ¥6,700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥6,700,000)
The global diversification of termites was studied with reference to its pattern and causal mechanism as follows.
(1) Adaptive radiation of Termes into soil-feeders : The evolution of feeding habits in Termes were studied by gut contents observation, stable isotope analysis, measurement of cellulase activities, and mitochondria DNA analysis in Australia, suggesting that the evolution into soil-feeding occurred once in Termes. The present study revealed the presence of amoeba with cellulase activity in Termes.
(2) Evolutionary process from lower termites to higher termites : Termite fauna in the upland rainforest of Queensland of Australia, where Gondwana mesic forests have persisted since Cretaceous time, was compared with that in adjacent savanna formed in the Tertiary period. The former was dominated by lower termites, while the latter was dominated by higher termites. The higher termites seem to have evolved not in the forest but savanna.
(3) Evolution of termite-symbiont system : Global diversification of termites was examined in relation to the evolution of termite-symbiont system and the sociality (T.Abe, S.A.Levin & M.Higashi eds, Biodiversity.Springer, 1997).
(4) Ecological role of termites in ecosystem : The distribution of fungus-growing termites was examined together with their methane mission in the dry evergreen forest of Thailand.
(5) Phylogeny of termites and biogeography : Phylogeny of Rhinotermitidae was examined in relation to their change in the symbiotic protozoa and their biogeography in the Japanese islands.
(6) Workshop on the global diversification of termites : The workshop was held at Kyoto in March, 1997 to publish a textbook of the biology of termites. About 20 foreign termite researchers attended the meeting.