Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||TOYOGAKUEN UNIVERSITY |
ASANO Hiroshi TOYOGAKUEN UNIVERSITY,LIBERAL ARTS,PROFESSOR, 人文学部, 教授 (10015943)
SUGAWARA Yasuhiko KOKUSHIKAN UNIVERSITY POLITICAL SCIENCE,ASSOC.PROFESSOR, 政経学部, 助教授 (30206403)
HOZAKI Norio KANAGAWA UNIVERSITY FOREIGN LANGUAGES,PROFESSOR, 外国語学部, 教授 (70221562)
IINO Kazuhiro GUNMA TECHNICAL COLLEGE,ASSOC.PROFESSOR, 助教授 (80159574)
TAKAI Osamu OTARU UNIVERSITY OF COMMERCE,LANGUAGE CENTER,PROFESSOR, 言語センター, 教授 (60206703)
OHARA Osamu TOKYO JIKEI-KAI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY,MEDICAL,ASSIST.PROFESSOR, 医学部, 専任講師 (10266603)
松浦 浩子 嘉悦女子短期大学, 経済学科, 助教授 (70199751)
鈴木 広子 神奈川大学, 外国語学部, 助教授 (50191789)
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1997
Completed (Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥7,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥7,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1997: ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1996: ¥3,400,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1995: ¥2,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,500,000)
|Keywords||CROSS-CULTURAL UNDERSTANDING / MULTIMEDIA / VIDEO MATERIALS / LANGUAGE EDUCATION / DIGITAL EDITING / CR-ROM / MOVIE / L.L. / L. L.|
The new term and the concept, multlmedia, have been advocated in the field of foreign language education for the last one decade. In this educational trend, three modes of presentatlon : sound, written language and vlsuals, were elaborately focused in the present study for more effective learning.
More precisely, the study intended to develop a prototype of multimedia-based Instructional materials with the following three tasks embedded in the lessons.
1) Movies, 3 presentation modes were to be effectively used in the lesson.
2) A tota1 instructional system was to consist of iodividua1ized instruction by applying the concept of CALL (Computer-Assisted Language Learning) and group instruction with an enough amount of oral activities.
3) A content-based teaching method embedded with cultural information and understanding of the content was to be developed to avoid excessive emphasis of pure language instruction.
Two different types of movies, Back to the Future and The Field of Dreams were Se
lected for the lessons after careful investigation of the content and the vocabulary as well as the speed of the speech. What was obtained in the present study is summarized as the following 3 points :
1) Three different modes of presentation within the frame of CALL was used to achieve cach learning task by considering different learners' learning styles. This elaboraton enabled the learner to find out his/her learning style as well as an effective learning method.
2) In the developed learning system, functioning as an introductory module, the locus ol control in his/her learning lled upon the learner and the following class instruction effectively enhanced furthcr learning including culture and interactlon through English. A pilot study (Fulleda, 1997) showed significant enhancement in the speaking test.
3) A program within the lesson was developed to investigate the learning process. The program made clear the learner's learning process : frequency and the total time of duration on how a learner navigated in the lesson. The findings were reported at the annual TESOL conference of 1998 (Suzuki & Fujieda, 1998). Less