KATO Hiroshi Hitotsubashi University, Graduate School of Economics, Professor, 大学院・経済学研究科, 教授 (10134636)
KISAICHI Masatoshi Sophia University, Faculty of Foreign Studies, Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (80177807)
KOMATSU Hisao The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Professor, 大学院・人文社会系研究科, 教授 (30138622)
HANEDA Masashi The University of Tokyo, Institute of Oriental Culture, Professor, 東洋文化研究所, 教授 (40183090)
OKABE Atsuyuki The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Professor, 大学院・工学系研究科, 教授 (10114050)
後藤 明 東京大学, 東洋文化研究所, 教授 (50079224)
松原 正毅 国立民族学博物館, 地域研究企画交流センター, 教授 (30110084)
村井 吉敬 上智大学, 外国語学部, 教授 (40129797)
竹下 政孝 東京大学, 大学院・人文社会系研究科, 教授 (30163398)
1. A comprehensive examination of issues in Islam today covering the Middle East, Central Asia, China, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Africa, Europe and the United States from the viewpoints of politics, economics, thought, history, and geography. The study brings to light several important issues for further investigation, such as modern-contemporary political movements and the role of intellectuals in society.
2. Creation and maintenance of both Japanese and English websites with up-to-date information on research activities, thereby promoting international recognition of Islamic studies in Japan. Research results will also be published in the IAS Series in both Japanese (eight volumes) and English (twelve volumes, with three already published).
3. Development and installment of a standardized database system for resources written in Arabic script. It is now in use nationwide.
4. Support of Japanese young scholars, research assistants, and graduate school students by encouraging their participation in workshops, on-site research, and international symposia.
5. Support of young researchers from abroad such as South Korea, Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia, and France for joint research spanning one to two years, promoting international collaboration.