SADAMORI Shinsuke Hiroshima University, Faculty of Dentistry, Associate Professor, 歯学部, 助教授 (40187167)
TSUGA Kazuhiro Hiroshima University, University Dental Hospital, Assistant Professor, 歯学部・附属病院, 講師 (60217289)
KAWAMURA Makoto Hiroshima University, University Dental Hospital, Assistant Professor, 歯学部・附属病院, 講師 (10136096)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,500,000)
Fiscal Year 2000: ¥300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥300,000)
Fiscal Year 1999: ¥500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1998: ¥1,700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,700,000)
The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors of the occurrence and the spontaneous cure of Temporomandibular Dysfunction in the younger generation by means of epidemiological method. The subjects in this study were 887 newcomers of universities and paramedical schools. They answered the questionnaire on the general physical condition, mental condition, and the condition of temporomandibular joint, and then received examinations of occlusal conditions by Prescale【○!R】, maximal mouth opening, sound of temporomandibular joint, pain of temporomandibular joint and muscle on palpation, and pain of temporomandibular joint on movement of madibular. We analyzed questionnaires of 810 students eighteen years to twenty years of age (male-396, female-424), and the data of the examinations of 695 students of same age, which were examined only one examiner (male-359, female-336).
The results were follows :
(1) Temporomandibular Dysfunction in the younger generation shows a clear tendency to
be cured spontaneously, and the medical or dental treatment might not have a large power to cure Temporomandibular Dysfunction
(2) We show here a hypothesis of the process of occurrence and spontaneous cure of Temporomandibular Dysfunction. (This is a hypothesis of females, since the male results had some inconsistencies.)
When teeth erupt, the occlusion is unstable as the occlusal area is small.
→The unstable occlusion is a load for Temporomandibular joint.
→Temporomandibular Dysfunction occurs.
→When Teeth are worn, the occlusal become larger and the occlusion become more stable.
→The stable occlusion is not a load for temporomandibular Joint.
(Then it might be better for temporomandibular joint to keep quiet.)
→Temporomandibular Dysfunction is cured spontaneously.
In all process, orthodontic treatment reduce occlusal area. Then, it might be easy to trigger off Temporomandibular Dysfunction, till the occlusion become stable again.
(3) There was no relation between the result of the examinations and the stress which was investigated by questionnaire. However the subjects thought that the stress influenced Temporomandibular Dysfunction.
(4) Temporomandibular Dysfunction had the characteristics of a psychosomatic disease.
(5) Temporomandibular joints always received some kind of power as habits except chewing power. Less