Study on multimodal treatment for a locally-advanced esophageal cancer. Surgery, is it necessary?
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||KURUME UNIVERSITY |
FUJITA Hiromasa Kurume University, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Professor, 医学部, 教授 (90156878)
TANAKA Toshiaki Kurume University, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Assistant, 医学部, 助手 (20227151)
SUEYOSHI Susume Kurume University, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Lecturer, 医学部, 講師 (30235840)
YAMANA Hideaki Kurume University, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Professor, 医学部, 教授 (30140669)
TANAKA Ken Kurume University, School of Medicine, Department of Hematology, Lecturer, 医学部, 講師 (60217023)
TODA Yukihiro Kurume University, School of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Assistant, 医学部, 助手 (80217512)
藤井 輝彦 久留米大学, 医学部, 講師 (50199288)
|Project Period (FY)
1999 – 2002
Completed (Fiscal Year 2002)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,800,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,800,000)
Fiscal Year 2002: ¥700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 2001: ¥700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 2000: ¥700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 1999: ¥700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥700,000)
|Keywords||Esophageal cancer / Locally-advanced (T4) cancer / Multimodal treatment / Induction chemoradiotherapy / Daily chemotherapy / Hyperfruction radiotherapy / Informed consent / Prospective trial / 術前照射化学療法|
1. Purpose : To evaluate the necessity of esophageal surgery after chemoradiotherapy for a locally- advanced (T4) esophageal cancer
2. Methods : a prospective non-randomized trial based on informed consent comparing chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery (CRTx+S) versus chemoradiotherapy alone (CRTx-alone).
3. Patients' criteria : (1) T4 squamous cell carcinoma in the thoracic esophagus, (2) without distant metastasis (M0), (3) less than 75 year-old, (4) Performance status=0〜2, (5) without active other primary cancer(s), (6) informed consent.
4. Results : Fifty-three patients were enrolled from 1994 to 2002, 29 in the CRTx+S group and 24 in the CRTx-alone group. The responders (CR/PR) to the 1^<st> course of chemoradiotherapy - induction chemoradiotherapy - were 31 (58%), and the non-responders (NC/PD) were 22 (42%). The survival rates of patients with a T4 esophageal cancer were not correlated to surgery, but to the effect of chemoradiotherapy. In responders to chemoradiotherapy, there was no difference in the survival rates between the CRTx+S group and the CRTx-alone group, while in non-responders, the survival rates were better in the CRTx+S group than in the CRTx- alone group.
5. Conclusions : Surgery is not necessary for the responders to chemoradiotherapy, while it is necessary for the non-responders.
Report (5 results)
Research Products (15 results)