Studies on the Control Mechanisms of Body Color Polymorphism and Prophenoloxidase Cascade in Insect
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Shinshu University |
KIGUCHI Kenji Faculty of Textile Science and Technology Shinshu UNIVERSITY Professor, 繊維学部, 教授 (50262697)
ASHIDA Masaaki Institute of Low Temperature Science Hokkaido UNIVERSITY Professor, 低温科学研究所, 教授 (50012422)
KAZIURA Zenta Faculty of Textile Science and Technology Shinshu UNIVERSITY Associate Professor, 繊維学部, 助教授 (10224403)
SHIRAI Koji Faculty of Textile Science and Technology Shinshu UNIVERSITY Assistant Professor, 繊維学部, 助手 (00293499)
KOBAYASHI Masahiko Faculty of Agriculture UNIVERSITY of Tokyo Professor, 農学部, 教授 (60162020)
|Project Period (FY)
2000 – 2002
Completed (Fiscal Year 2002)
|Budget Amount *help
¥14,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥14,000,000)
Fiscal Year 2002: ¥3,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,000,000)
Fiscal Year 2001: ¥3,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,000,000)
Fiscal Year 2000: ¥8,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥8,000,000)
|Keywords||Bombyx mori / Agrius convolvuli / phenoloxydase / dopa decarboxylase / melanin / cuticle / insecticyanin / carotenoid / エビカラスズメ / 顆粒フェノールオキシダーゼ / フェノールオキシダーゼ前駆体 / カロチノイド結合タンパク質 / ドーパデカルボキシラーゼ / フェノールオキシダーゼ / 体色変 / 相変異 / クチクラ|
To clear the molecular mechanisms and its control of larval color polymorphism in insect, the factors participating in body color expression in Agrius convolvuli and Bombyx mori were studied.
1) The pigments of green and black larvae of A. convoluvli were analyzed. The green larvae have insecticyanin, AcINS (blue) and epidermal carotenoid-binding protein, eCBP (yellow) in epidermal cells. On the other hand, the black larvae have ommochrome in epidermis and melanin in cuticle.
2) The precursors of melanin and its transports were examined. Tyrosine, L-dopa, dopamine were precursors of melanin of B. mori and A. convolvuli. However, beta-alanine was only incorporated in brown melanin.
3) AcINS-a and -b were purified and characterized. The cDNA sequence of AcINS gene has high similarities with Manduca INSs. AcINS in the epidermis of the black larva was about 1/30 in the green larva.
4) The eCBP were purified from the green larva of A. convolvuli. The apo-protein of eCBP was about 27,500 Da, and only lutein was detected in eCBP. The cDNA and N-terminal amino acids sequences of eCBPs showed high similarity with JP29, a 29 k Da nuclear protein of Manduca sexta.
5) The granular phenoloxidase (gPO) of B. mori was purified and characterized. The pPOs were synthesized as proenzymes. The molecular mass of pro-gPO was about 78,000 Da. The Km values of gPO were 1.67 mM for L-dopa and 0.313 mM for dopamine. The purified pro-gPO was not activated by prophenoloxidase activating enzyme.
6) The dopa decarboxylase (DDC) gene was isolated from Antherea pernyi, A. yamamai, and Samia cynthiaricini. The sequences of these DDC genes showed high similarity with each other.
7) The pattern-recognition protein was purified and characterized from hemolymph of B. mori.
8) The mechanisms of trans-epithelial transport of the prophenoloxidase from hemolymph to cuticle were investigated.
Report (4 results)
Research Products (13 results)