TEZUKA Yasuhiro Toyama Med. and Pharm. Univ. Institute of Natural Medicine Asso. Professor, 和漢薬研究所, 助教授 (70236975)
SAIKI Ikuo Toyama Med. and Pharm. Univ. Institute of Natural Medicine Professor, 和漢薬研究所, 教授 (80133776)
WATANABE Hiroshi Toyama Med. and Pharm. Univ. Institute of Natural Medicine Professor, 和漢薬研究所, 教授 (10012642)
A.H. Banskota Toyama Med. and Pharm. Univ. Institute of Natural Medicine Assist. Professor, 和漢薬研究所, 助手 (40333497)
|Budget Amount *help
¥5,800,000 (Direct Cost: ¥5,800,000)
Fiscal Year 2002: ¥2,400,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,400,000)
Fiscal Year 2001: ¥3,400,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,400,000)
Investigations in Vietnam
1. We have visited traditional medicine practitioners, hospitals, research institutes for science, forestry and cultivation in Hochiminh, Da Lat, Nha Trang, Tuy Hoa and Phan Thiet Cities to study traditional medicine and the cultivation of agarwood and Taxus, cinchona, artichoke. Approximately 260 kinds of crude drugs used by the local traditional medicine practitioners have been sampled.
2. A natural alive Aquilaria crassna tree, which is known to produce agarwood, has been found in Khanh Hoa Province. We also have questioned the local people, who earn their living on agarwood, to learn about agarwood resources, proccessing, cultivation, grading and qualification. In order to preserve the natural resource of agarwood, the cultivation of A. crassna have been started in several places in Vietnam.
Investigations in Myanmar
1. We have visited traditional medicine practitioners, clinics, hospitals and drug stores in Shan State, mainly in Taunggyi and Lashio. We have interviewed traditional medicine practitioners in Taunggyi and Kyaukme to learn about proccessing and production of Shan State traditonal medicine and 75 kinds of crude drugs have been sampled. Moreover, a wild ginseng plant was found for the first time in Taunggyi.
Research in Japan
1. Extracts of Vietnamese crude drugs were prepared, creened for anti-metastasis, hepatoprotection searched for active constituents. The results have been reported in 30 articles in international scientific journal.
2. The ginseng plant collected in Myanmar was identified to be Panax zingiberensis, which faces extinction in China and is highly protected. An article on the research result is in press.
3. The result of the investigation on agarwood is to be published.
4. A review on the research of Vietnamese crude drug Alpinia blepharocalyx has been published.
5. Result on the study of the chemical constituents of a Vietnamese, Myanmar and Southeast Asian medicinal plant Orthosiphon stamineus has been published.