Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Hosei University (2006)|
Momoyama Gakuin University (2004-2005)
SHIMIZU Nobumasa Hosei University, Faculty of Economics, Professor, 経済学部, 教授 (90216094)
KATO Yutaka Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration, Professor, 大学院経営学研究科, 教授 (70117993)
SAKAGUCHI Junya Kansai University, Graduate School of Accounting, Associate Professor, 大学院・会計研究科, 助教授 (10364689)
KAWAI Takaharu Momoyamagauin University, School of Business Administration, Associate Professor, 経営学部, 助教授 (30368386)
MATUKI Satoko Tedukayama University, Scool of Bisiness Information, Associate Professor, 経営情報学部, 助教授 (10347180)
|Project Period (FY)
2004 – 2006
Completed (Fiscal Year 2006)
|Budget Amount *help
¥13,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥13,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2006: ¥3,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2005: ¥5,200,000 (Direct Cost: ¥5,200,000)
Fiscal Year 2004: ¥4,800,000 (Direct Cost: ¥4,800,000)
|Keywords||Management Accounting / capital budgeting / decision making process / investment / equipment / planning / project management / questionnaire / 設備投資マネジメント / 設備投資予算 / 設備投資決定プロセス / 経済性評価技法の役割 / 設備投資に影響を及ぼす要因 / 設備投資予算枠 / 設備投資の目標設定 / 設備投資の評価 / 設備投資の経済性評価 / 市場環境要因 / 技術要因 / 郵送質問票調査 / インタビュー調査|
In management accounting field, prior researches in capital budgeting tend to center on the methods of making decision of their plan. In this project, we investigate decision making processes of capital budgeting especially focused on investments on product systems. Also, we examine some factors that affect decision making process on investment.
To approach these issues, we first carry out interviews to the firms. By interviews to the firms, we find that the decision making processes are quite different among the firms and it might be affected by the factors like the intensity of the competition and the rapidness of technological development.
Based on these findings, we conduct the questionnaire survey. We sent the questionnaire to the 837 companies which listed in section one of the Tokyo stock exchange and also belong to the Mining, Foods, Textiles ＆ Apparels, Pulp ＆ Paper, Chemicals, Pharmaceutical, Oil and Coal Products, Rubber products, Glass and Ceramics products, Iron ＆ Steel, Nonferrous Metals, Metal Products, Machinery, Electric Appliances, Transportation Equipments, Precision Instruments and Other Products. 187 companies responded to the survey.
The main findings of the survey are the following.
1. Many Japanese companies adopts "Pay-back period" for decision making.
2. Japanese companies tend to use more than two methods for decision making
3. Japanese companies often fix the amount of the spending for production systems at fiscal budgeting and keep to it.
4. The methods of decision making are often used at the planning phase of project in Japanese company.
5. Head quarter tend to decide the adoption of the production system when the amount of the spending is high. Divisions tend to decide the adoption of the production system when the amount of the spending is low
6. Head quarter tend to involve in deliberation phase and/or determination phase, however not in planning phase
7. Many Japanese Company use decision making methods for target setting.