A Survey of the Sleep-wake Patterns of the Frail Elderly with Dementia and Effects of activity care on sleep-wake pattern assembling based data for effective care for sleeping through cooperation of nurses and care workers
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
Community health/Gerontological nurisng
|Research Institution||Yamaguchi Prefectural University |
TSUTSUMI Masae Yamaguchi Prefectural University, Faculty of Nursing, associate professor, 看護学部, 助教授 (80280212)
KOBAYASHI Toshio Graduate School of Health Sciences, Department of Health Development, Hiroshima University, professor, 大学院・保健学研究科, 教授 (20251069)
TANAKA Makiko Yamaguchi Prefectural University, Faculty of Nursing, professor, 看護学部, 教授 (80227173)
WAKUI Tadaaki Ube Frontier College, Department of Living of Welfare, professor, 生活福祉学科, 教授 (40220850)
HARADA Hideko Yamaguchi Prefectural University, Faculty of Nursing, assistant professor, 看護学部, 講師 (10347651)
SUMIKAWA Keiko Yamaguchi Prefectural University, Faculty of Nursing, assistant, 看護学部, 前・助手 (00382391)
|Project Period (FY)
2004 – 2006
Completed (Fiscal Year 2006)
|Budget Amount *help
¥3,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,300,000)
Fiscal Year 2006: ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,100,000)
Fiscal Year 2005: ¥500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 2004: ¥1,700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,700,000)
|Keywords||the elderl / sleep / wake rhythm / activity care / sleep log / long-term care hospital / cooperation / アクチグラムデータ|
1. It was suggested that a sleep log be recorded by nurses in 1-hour epochs for validity in the studies on sleep-wake patterns of the elderly by simultaneous measurement with actigram data.
2. It was suggested that participation in activity care programs may result in improved sleep-wake patterns after analyzing and elucidating the factors related to sleep-wake patterns of the frail elderly..
3. Sleep-wake patterns in the frail elderly were related to "status of mind" and "twilight status" by using Resident Assessment Protocols(RAPs).
4. There was a significant increase of total sleep time in the frail elderly through participation in activity care.
5. It was suggested that the close relationship between depression and the difficulty in sleep maintenance among the elderly with cognitive dysfunction, as well as among the general population, and also that Cornell Scale for Depression in Dementia can be an efficient tool for the assessment of depressive status.
6. Significant longer time for interchanges was recognized on activity care days than those without activity care. It was suggested that there is a positive effect from activity care intervention on the length of time for interchanges of the elderly with dementia.
7. Cooperating with nurses, care workers were in charge of implementing activity care.
The scholarly feature of this research is to examine sleep-wake patterns of 8-76 subjects during 2 months. This research seeks reliable data of sleep-wake patterns in the frail elderly by observation of representatives of patients with dementia.
Report (4 results)
Research Products (24 results)