Studies on establishment of diagnostic standard and improve the accuracy in veterinary ultrasonography
Grant-in-Aid for Co-operative Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
Applied veterinary science
|Research Institution||HOKKAIDO UNIVERSITY |
TOO Kimehiko Faculty of veterinary medicine, Hokkaido university, Professor, 獣医学部, 教授 (70001526)
HASHIMOTO Akira Faculty of agriculture, Gifu University, Associate professor, 農学部, 助教授 (70021706)
SUGANUMA Tunenori School of veterinary medicine, Azabu University, Associate professor, 獣医学部, 助教授 (50063970)
HAGIO Mitsuyoshi Faculty of agriculture, Miyazaki University, Instructor, 農学部, 助手 (20128359)
UTINO Tomiya Nippon veterinary and zootecnical college, Professor, 獣医畜産学部, 教授 (60060513)
YASUDA Jun Fac, vet, med., Hokkaido University, Instructor, 獣医学部, 助手 (20142705)
|Project Period (FY)
1985 – 1986
Completed (Fiscal Year 1986)
|Budget Amount *help
¥9,600,000 (Direct Cost: ¥9,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1986: ¥4,100,000 (Direct Cost: ¥4,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1985: ¥5,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥5,500,000)
|Keywords||Veterinary ultrasonography / Ultrasonographic diagnosis of pregnancy / Diffuse change in bovine liver / Liver chirrhosis in cattle / Congenital heart disease in cattle / Bovine traumatic pericarditis / Animal tumors / 動物の水腎症|
Co-operative studies were performed to establish of diagnostic standard and improve the diagnostic accuracy of ultrasonography in veterinary clinic.
1. Concerning early pregnancy diagnosis in dairy cattle by rectal scanning, differential diagnosis between fetal sac images indicating pregnancy and simillar images related to uterine mucus fluid during the estrus cycle play an important part. The fetuses were first visible 29 days after Al. Accuracy of pregnancy diagnosis based on development of FS images was 95% between 22 and 24 days after Al.
2. In diffuse changes of the bovine liver with various conditions, it was found that as the echogenicity of the liver decreased, the degree of hydropic degeneration and/or fatty change increased. Blunting of the edge of the liver, dilatation and stricture of intrahepatic vessels may be present as a standard.
3. Based on normal USG images in adult dairy cattle, images of dilatation of the hepatic and portal vein and increase of echogenicity of the par
enchyma may be present as a diagnostic indicator for congestive liver chirrhosis. The diagnosis of hydronephrosis and renal cyst was simply made using rectal scan.
4. Ultrasonic diagnosis of congenital heart disease in calves was performed by using both linear and sector scanning methods. Detection of ventricular septal defects comprises combined anomaly and anomaly of aortic valves were more easily than other defects. In severe traumatic pericarditis of cattle, images of sickend pericardium, dilatation of pericardial sac, floating and oscillatory motin of fibrin may be present as for diagnostic indicator.
5. Comparisons of the sound beam attenuation between removed tumors from animals and 3 types of phantoms were made by water bath method. Tumors may be classified in three categories. Images of histologically malignant tumors in vivo showed mixed echo pattern but in benign tumors uniform echo pattern were obtained.
6. By abdominal surface scanning of swine, images of fetal sac were obtained after 22 days gestation with 100% diagnostic accuracy. In beagle dogs, images of fetal sac were also observed after 22 days gestation with 100% accuracy.
7. In mild cases of hydronephrosis of dog and cat, images of linear strong echo caused by dilated renal pelvic wall were observed. In severe cases images of fluid filled echo related to fluid which fill the gap between renal parenchyma and vascular connective tissue exposed to dilated renal pelvis were obtained. Less
Report (1 results)
Research Products (12 results)