KARAKIDA Shigeaki Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 教養学部, 助教授 (50117008)
YAMAGATA Hiromitsu Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 教養学部, 助教授 (50017381)
OGAWA Hiroshi Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 教養学部, 助教授 (90029736)
KUBOUCHI Tadao Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 教養学部, 助教授 (90017624)
IKEGAMI Yoshihiko Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 教養学部, 教授 (90012327)
小野 茂 東京都立大学, 人文学部, 教授 (70083243)
|Budget Amount *help
¥12,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥12,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1988: ¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1987: ¥4,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥4,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1986: ¥6,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥6,500,000)
The following are the results of our co-operative work during the years 1986-88:
1. We have published three volumes of Key-Word Studies in Beowulf and Chaucer (Nos. 1,2,3 in the References) as preliminary to the ultimate Beowulf/Chaucer lexicon. Discussion of the methodological problems involved is also made, among others, in the essays contributed by some of us to the Terasawa Festschrift (No. 4 below).
2. We have made an intensive study of the textual problems of Beowulf and Chaucer, with the result that the variorum edition of Beowulf, and possibly of Chaucer, is now recognized as essential for our further research. Much of the study was reported at the symposia on 'the text of Beowulf' and 'Chaucer's English' (both in 1987).
3. We have compiled a concordance to Klaeber's edition of Beowulf and Manly-Rickert's edition of Chaucer's canterbury Tales, though both remain to be published owing to a technical difficulty in outputting through the computer printer such letters as thorns, eths,
yoghs, etc. A complete word-index to the Riverside Canterbury Tales (No. 5 below) has been compiled and published in place of the full concordance. We have also finished computerizing the texts of the destruction of Troy, Stanzaic Morte Arthur and the Riverside edition of Chaucer's Boece, and the French text of The Romaunt of the Rose, for the future use for compiling concordances to the respective texts.
4. We have published a new edition of Stanzaic Morte Arthur (No. 6 below), based on a fresh examination of the manuscript and a critical study of the previous editions.
5. We have published the Catalogue of the Library of Kikuo Miyabe (1987) and continued to work for compiling an up-todated English version of A Bibliography of Publications on Medieval English Language and Literature in Japan (1983).
1. Terasawa, Y. (ed.), Key-Word Studies in Beowulf 2 (1987)
2. Terasawa, Y. (ed.), Key-Word Studies in Chaucer 2 (1987)
3. Terasawa, Y. (ed.), Key-Word Studies in Beowulf and Chaucer 3 (1989)
4. Oshitari, K. et al. (eds.), Philologia Anglica: Essays Presented to Professor Yoshio Terasawa on the Occasion of His Sixtieth Birthday (1988)
5. Oizumi, A. (ed.), A Complete Word Index to the Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (1989)
6. Noguchi, S. (ed.), Stanzaic Morte Arthur [British Library MS Harley 2252]: A New Edition (1989) Less