Patterns of Intellectual Aging, Relationships Between Life Events And Intellectual Aging.
Grant-in-Aid for Co-operative Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Tanaka Institute for Educational Research |
MAMIYA Takeshi Tanaka Institute for Educational Research Director, 所長 (10017741)
SATOU Tadasi Tanaka Institute for Educational Research Chief, 所員 (40014542)
FUZIMAKI Kimihiro Saitama Univ. Prof., 所員 (80016518)
SUGIHARA Takashi Tokyo Gakugei Univ. Prof., 所員 (60015724)
SUGIHARA Kazuaki Tukuba Univ. Prof., 所員 (30017777)
KAGA Hideo Ochanomizu Univ. Prof., 副所長 (00015968)
河井 芳文 財団法人, 田中教育研究所, 所員 (20014714)
|Project Period (FY)
1988 – 1990
Completed (Fiscal Year 1990)
|Budget Amount *help
¥8,800,000 (Direct Cost: ¥8,800,000)
Fiscal Year 1990: ¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1989: ¥2,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1988: ¥4,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥4,300,000)
|Keywords||Aging / Intellectual ability / Crystallized ability / Fluid ability / Aging Pattern / Life events / longitudinal study / New intelligence test / 老化プロセス / 高齢者 / 衰退 / 構造 / 老化防止 / 個人的経験要因 / 老化のプロセス / 現在の生活経験 / 個人史 / ライフイベント / 健康状態 / 生きがい意識 / 老化意識 / 測定の方法 / 個人的要因の構造|
1 ; Patterns of intellectual aging
1) To measure intellectual abilities (fluid ability, crystallized ability, memorized ability and general ability), a new intelligence test was developed.
2) It was administered to 649 subjects of 16 to 95 years old.
3) Patterns of intellectual aging were following.
1. Until about age 55, substantial age differences were not found.
2. Both in 56-65 age group and 76-85 age group, major decrement was found in comparison with previous age groups.
3. The structure of intellectual abilities was different from in each 3 age groups, i.e., 16-55, 56-75 and 76-95 age group.
2 ; Relationships between life events and intellectual aging
1) The inventory that was consisted of 27 life events factors was developed.
2) Both this inventory and intelligence test were administered to 61 elderly people, aged 65 to 75.
3) As a result of the correlational analysis, it was found that several factors of life events (i.e., 'career', 'reading books', 'reading newspaper', 'finding employment and age of marriage', 'active satisfaction' and so on) were related to intellectual abilities.
4) And two years latter, longitudinal data was collected with 46 same subjects.
5) Two years' intellectual changes and life events were not significantly correlated.
6) But in case of classification according to the degree of intellectual change, the differences between 'maintained group' and 'dropped group' were found in terms of 'reading newspaper', 'watching TV' and 'stability of life'.
Report (4 results)
Research Products (11 results)