Pathogenesis and Managements for Chronic Secretory Otitis Media.
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Tohoku University |
TAKASAKA Tomonori Tohoku Univ. School of Med., Professor, 医学部, 教授 (80004646)
KIKUCHI Tishihiko Tohoku Univ. School of Med., Associate, 医学部, 助手 (70177799)
HOZAWA Koji Tohoku Univ. School of Med., Associate, 医学部, 助手 (20199459)
SHIBAHARA Yoshihiro Tohoku Univ. School of Med., Assistant Prof., 医学部, 講師 (70142940)
小林 俊光 東北大学, 医学部, 助教授 (80133958)
SUZUKI Mamoru Tohoku Univ. School of Med., Associate (10206534)
YAGINUMA Yuji Tohoku Univ. School of Med., Associate
八木沼 裕司 東北大学, 医学部附属病院, 助手
末武 光子 東北大学, 医学部・附属病院, 助手 (40183412)
栗原 篤 東北大学, 医学部・附属病院, 助手 (80192037)
新川 秀一 東北大学, 医学部, 講師 (90125584)
鈴木 秀明 東北大学, 医学部附属病院, 助手 (20187751)
|Project Period (FY)
1988 – 1990
Completed (Fiscal Year 1990)
|Budget Amount *help
¥27,600,000 (Direct Cost: ¥27,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1990: ¥3,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1989: ¥5,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥5,900,000)
Fiscal Year 1988: ¥18,200,000 (Direct Cost: ¥18,200,000)
|Keywords||Secretory otitis media / middle ear effusion / risk factors for SOM / VT insertion / medical managements / 難治化因子 / ケミカルミディエ-タ- / 補体 / 難治例鼓膜病理 / 中耳粘膜病理 / 柴苓湯 / サ-ファクテン局所療法 / ケミカルメディエーター / 鼓膜病理 / コラーゲン線維 / サーファクタント|
1) Our epidemiologic studies revealed that the relative risk for secretory otitis media was significantly high in children who had the histories of acute otitis media, sinus troubles and adenoids vegetation. This results suggest that acute and chronic inflammation of the middle ear as well as the upperrespiratory tract is responsible in the onset of SOM.
2) Arachidonate metabolism in the middle ear effusion was studied to clarify factors mediating inflammatory responses in SOM. The concentrations of prostaglandin (PG) E_2, F_<2alpha>, and 6-keto-PGF_<2alpha> were higher in the middle ear effusions of children than in those of adults. The inflammatory cells in the effusion were also more numerous in the children. These results suggest that inflammatory reactions are more accelerated in the children's SOM.
3) Ultrastructural Examinations of the middle ear mucosa from two different age groups (children and adults) revealed no significant differences in the lining mucosa of the middle ear.
4) Ninety ears with middle ear effusions were treated by insertion of a ventillation tube (VT) insertion. Following VT insertion, the middle ear air volume (MEAV) was measured by tympanometry. It was found that very high recurrence rate of the middle ear effusions was seen in the ears with small MEAV less than 1.5 ml.
5) We attempted to assess the efficacy of Kampo-medicine in SOM. Sairei-to (TJ-114) was chosen as atrial medicine which contains 12 basic dry extracts from various plants and vegetalbes and which has been proven to have anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects through animal experiments in the laboratory. The present preliminary open trial study revealed that TJ-114 brought complete resolution in 8.7% out of ears and significant improvement in 19.6%. No improvement was found in 21.7%.
Report (4 results)
Research Products (27 results)