1996 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
Research on Life Stress and Social Support
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||University of Tokyo (1996)|
Tokyo Metropolitan University (1994-1995)
OSHIMA Iwao Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Associate Professor -> 東京大学, 大学院・医学系研究科, 助教授 (20194136)
INADA Akihiro Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Lectur, 人文学部, 専任講師 (30213119)
NOZAWA Shinji Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Shizuoka University, Associate Profes, 人文学部, 助教授 (40218318)
MATSUOKA Eiko Faculty of Education, Shinshu University, Associate Professor, 教育学部, 助教授 (20126709)
FUJISAKI Hiroko Faculty of Literature, Seishin Women's University, Associate Professor, 人文学部, 助教授 (90145649)
ISHIHARA Kunio Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Profes, 人文学部, 教授 (00106212)
|Project Period (FY)
1994 – 1996
|Keywords||Life Stress / Social Stress / Family Life / Coping Pattern / Support Network / The Mentally Disabled / Schizophrenia / 精神障害者|
Stress studies in family life, which is not only in the certain difficult conditions, but also in the general conditions, has to be discussed with the relevance to the social support approach.
Firstly, in the life stress research to the general population, the hypothesis is not proved that the stress level of women was high who are housewives or working mothers during the child care period. And the distress level of the women was not correlated with their life stages or career patterns. On the other hand, the lower distress level was shown among the women whose husbands enjoyed the leisure time with their wives, and gave a lot of psychosocial supports to them.
Secondly, in the nationwide follow-up survey for the families with the mentally disabled members, the family life events were observed such as decrease of the household income or disease/accident/death of household members during about five years follow-up period, and the reply of "extremely so"to the distress item of "anxiety and impatience to the future"was as high as nearly 50%. And the social resources such as supports of mental health workers and the mutual supports of family group were induced to the distressful situation, and resulted effectively.
Thirdly, in the intensive follow-up survery for ten years using the interview method to the 240 families with mentally disabled members, the rate of those who took the daily care from the same family member in community at the first interview decreased to as low as 50%. And the family functioning was also weakened, although the continuous family care was given. As the change of family caretaker, 20% moved to the institution. Most of the other 80% took another family care, and those who lived independently with the aid of social care were only 15%. The new family care given mainly by siblings was very unstable. More substantial social support should be provided to the families and the mentally disabled themselves.
Research Products (15 results)