1995 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
Search for the ancestral species show pelargonium(Pelargonium *domesticum Bailey) by means of flower pigment analysis.
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||EHIME UNIVERSITY |
KATO Masahiro Ehime University FAC.OF AGRICULTURE,PROFESSOR -> 愛媛大学, 農学部, 教授 (30036404)
|Project Period (FY)
1994 – 1995
|Keywords||Pelargonium / isozyme / essential oil component / anthocyanidin / crosscompatibility|
Pelargonium plants, which are originated in South Africa, have 250 species.Most of the cultivated forms of geranium (Pelargonium) may be grouped into four horticultural classes, i.e., (1)zonal geraniums, (2)show pelargoniums, (3)ivy-leaved geraniums, and (4) scented-leaved geraniums ; the former three are used as ornamentals and the last one as aromatics.Basic chromosome numbers are X=8,9,10 and 11. Investigation including past works was summarized below.
(1) From the observation of the pollen tube behavior by means of the fluorescence microscope and isozyme analysis, the show pelargoniums and the scented-leaved geraniums were similar to each other, but the zonal geraniums were different from above two classes.
(2) Developmental process of ovules in Pelargonium was investigated, and the mechanism of fertilization was named as selective fertilization.
(3) Using the anther culture technique, haploid plants were obtained, and variation of their essential components was investigated.
(4) From the analysis of essential oil components by gas chromatography, variation and genetic relationships among the Pelargonium species were estimated.
(5) Interspecific hybridization in Pelargonium by means of ovule culture technique was established, and characteristics of many F1 hybrids between show pelargoniums and scented-leaved geraniums were investigated.
(6) Relationship of anthocyanidin composition and color of petals in show pelargoniums were investigated, and improvement of flower color of show pelargonium was carried out by means of interspecific hybridization.
(7) Introgression of fragrance into show pelargonium was carried out by means of interspecific hybridization between scented-leaved geraniums and show pelargoniums.
(8) Collection of wild species having basic chromosome number X=11 was made in South Africa by Fumika Kakihara from Oct.1995 to Jan.1996.
Research Products (8 results)