2003 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
Analysis of the biosynthetic mechanism and functions of glycosaminogycans by manipulating the genes encoding biosynthetic enzymes.
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Kobe Pharmaceutical University |
SUGAHARA Kazuyuki Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Dept.of Biochemistry, Professor -> 神戸薬科大学, 薬学部, 教授 (60154449)
KITAGAWA Hiroshi Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Dept.of Biochemistry, Assistant Professor, 薬学部, 助教授 (40221915)
YAMADA Shuhei Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Dept.of Biochemistry, Lecuture, 薬学部, 講師 (70240017)
MIKAMI Tadahisa Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Dept.of Biochemistry, Instructor, 薬学部, 助手 (20330425)
ASANO Masahide Kanazawa University, Advanced Science Research Center, Professor, 学際科学実験センター, 教授 (50251450)
TAYA Choji The Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science (Rinshoken), Dept.of Laboratory Animal Science, Chief Scientist, 東京都臨床医学総合研究所・実験動物部門, 主任研究員 (90175456)
|Project Period (FY)
2001 – 2003
|Keywords||glycosaminoglycan / heparan sulfate / chondroitin sulfate / glycosyltransferase / sulfotransferase / chondroitin synthase / chondroitin polymerizing factor / RNAi|
(1) Human EXTL1 and EXTL3 were demonstrated for the first time to exhibit glycosyltransferase activities involved in heparan sulfate synthesis.
(2) Human chondrotiin synthase was cloned for the first time.
(3) It was demonstrated that acceptor core protein moieties in addition to an enzyme complex of human EXT1 and EXT2 for heparan sulfate polymerization.
(4) Human chondroitin polymerizing factor required for chain polymerization of chondroitin was cloned for the first time.
(5) Chondroitin/dermatan 4-O-sulfotransferases were cloned and their detailed substrate specificity was characterized.
(6) It was found that one of the Gal residues in the GAG-protein linkage region tetrasaccharide is sulfated in the chondroitin sulfate chains but not in the heparan sulfate chains of a hybrid type proteoglycan syndecan-1.
(7) The crystal structure of EXTL2, which exhibits GlcNAc transferase activity, was demonstrated for the first time.
(8) Choncdoirin was demonstrated to be essential for the embryonic cell division of C.elegans.
Research Products (24 results)