2004 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
CLINICAL STUDY ON SAFETY USE OF DENTAL LOCAL ANESTHETICS FOR CHILDREN
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||SHOWA UNIVERSITY |
INOUE Mitsuko SHOWA UNIVERSITY, SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, 歯学部, 助教授 (20112724)
SASA Ryuji SHOWA UNIVERSITY, SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY, PROFESSOR, 歯学部, 教授 (20014201)
TAKAGI Yuzo TOKYO MEDICAL AND DENTAL UNIVERSITY, GRADUATE SCHOOL, PROFESSOR, 大学院・歯学研究科, 教授 (30124697)
|Project Period (FY)
2003 – 2004
|Keywords||CHILDREN / DENTAL TREATMENT / DENTAL LOCAL ANESTHETICS / SIDE REACTIONS|
Clinical investigation on the actual use conditions and side reactions of local anesthetics for children was performed last year. We added together the collected data and attempted the analysis of these data this year.
The results were as follows ;
1. Collected data were composed of 4,145 subjects;3,890 from pediatric clinics of university hospitals, and 255 from private pediatric clinics.
2. The age of subjects ranged from 0 to over 20 years, and children under 12 years old occupied about 90%.
3. The ratio of subjects with systemic disease amounted to 15.3%, and that with allergy was 7.5%. Asthma was most frequent disease.
4. The ratio of children new to dental local anesthetics was 16.2%.
5. Local anesthesia was applied to not only pulp and surgical treatment but also restoratory treetment ; composite resin restoration was the most common procedure.
6. Lidocaine with epinephrine was most frequently used as local anesthetic drug. The doses of used drugs were mostly under 1.0ml.
7. Unpleasant complaints during or after treatment were brought from some cases ( during 2.6%, after 2.6%). And majority of them were about pain, numbness and bite injury, so suspected cases of side reactions of local anesthetic drug were very rare.
Research Products (2 results)