1986 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
TREATMENT OF ACUTE LIVER FAILURE BY STIMULATION OF LIVER REGENERATION AND CYTOPROTECTION
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Tokyo University |
OKA Hiroshi Tokyo University, Faculty of Medicine, Professor, 医学部, 教授 (10010258)
佐藤 譲 東京大学, 医学部, 医員
OGATA Itsuroh Tokyo University, Faculty of Medicine,, 医学部, 医員 (80169169)
OKA Yuji Tokyo University, Faculty of Medicine,, 医学部, 助手 (20160658)
OHTA Yasuhiko Tokyo University, Faculty of Medicine,, 医学部, 助手 (60124666)
FUJIWARA Kenji Tokyo University, Faculty of Medicine,, 医学部, 講師 (80101088)
SATO Yuzuru Tokyo University, Faculty of Medicine,
|Project Period (FY)
1984 – 1986
|Keywords||Acute liver failure / Liver regeneration / Cytoprotection / Exchange transfusion / Glucagon / Insulin / Ornithine decarboxylase / プロスタグランヂン誘導体|
Stimulation of liver regeneration and cytoprotection are essential for treatment of acute liver failure. The aim of this project is to accomplish such effective forms of treatment by evaluating the efficacy of several therapies, and by investigating fundamental points related to the disease. The following results have been obtained.
1) In acute liver failure, progression stages of injury might vary. Encephalopathy seemed to occur not only as a result of liver dysfunction. Intravascular coagulation developed associated with sinusoidal cell injury, and might contribute to the aggravation of liver injury in rats.
2) Glucagon and insulin therapy was effective for treatment of rat liver failure to a certain extent of injury through stimulation of liver regeneration and recovery from the dysfunction. It showed adverse effects when started early in drug-induced injury.
3) Exchange blood transfusion was effective for a certain type of injury through stimulation of liver function.
4) Antithrombin <III> infusion was effective for treatment of intravascular coagulation in the liver.
5) Hepatic ornithine decarboxylase was proved to be necessary for liver regeneration. This enzyme assay was applied to a method for detecting factors which act on early G1-phase of cell cycle.
6) Rat epidermal growth factor was purified from the submaxillary gland, and the radioimmunoassay was established.
7) As a new cytoprotective agent, a derivative of prostagrandin E1 was developed.
Research Products (20 results)