SHIRAI Katsuhiko Waseda Univ, Faclt Eng Sci, Prof, 理工学部, 教授 (10063702)
MIZUNO Setsuko Toyo Women's College, Prof, 教授 (50141247)
TOYODA Junichi Univ Osaka, Inst Indust Sci, Prof, 産業科学研究所, 教授 (00029456)
HATANO Giyoo Dokkyo Univ, Coll Gen Edu, Prof, 教養部, 教授 (60049575)
KIRITANI Shigeru Univ Tokyo, Faclt Med, Prof, 医学部, 教授 (90010032)
|Budget Amount *help
¥7,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥7,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥3,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1989 : ¥4,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,300,000)
In the research, investigation was made in the field of language acquisition and concept formation, which is a foundation of communication behavior, as interactions among language competence and other ones of motor, cognition, comprehension, inference, etc.
Based on the investigation and data from linguistics, psychology as well as information science, research on modeling of each process was done in four subfields, i. e ., knowledge acquisition, speech acquisition, word and concept acquisition, and acquisition of discourse and dialogue competence. An integrative analysis was done on the models of four processes for applications in the fields of knowledge and related sciences.
Themes in each subfield are as follows.
1. Knowledge acquisition : knowledge acquisition by humans and machine, learning in the first language acquisition, understanding hidden meanings, nature of everyday science, constraint safisfaction and synthesis of feature structure.
2. Speech acquisition : concept formulation in spoken language understanding, development of ability of speech perception from infants and young children to adults, language acquisition using visual and auditory information.
3. Word and concept acquisition : development of concept structure in infants, arrangement of large-scale linguistic data base, hierarchical concept formation, mechanisms of conceptual change, acquisition of unknown words for analysis of Japanese text.
4. Acquisition of discourse and dialogue competence : human problem solving in intelligent tutoring system, automatic analysis of misconception in basic probability problems.
5. Integrated model and its applications : language and knowledge processing system for electronic dictionary, machine translation, computer assisted instruction, etc.