SHIMIZU Toru Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (60014453)
WATANABE Masaji Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (90133214)
YAMANOUCHI Yasushi Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (60014429)
UEMURA Tadao Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (70107829)
NINOMIYA Hiroyuki Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (40014427)
増谷 英樹 東京外国語大学, 外国語学部, 教授 (50083225)
|Budget Amount *help
¥11,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥11,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥1,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥2,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1989 : ¥6,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,900,000)
Recent political and socio-economic transformations all over the European countries have shown us one of the most profound questions originated in the formation of the modern "European World" : the concept of "nation-state". Integration into the European Community, on the one hand, movements for self-determination and independence and ethnic conflicts, on the other hand, besides the waves of immigrants and foreign workers, make us reconsider the meanings of the borders that have divided one "nation-state" from another. In another wards, one "nation-state" can be consisted of various "ethnos", or ethnic groups, and this fact is indispensable to understand the contemporary situation there.
Last three years, we have been tackling this subject in terms of methodology and area studies. Methodological studies paid a critical attention to the recent works on "Social, History" and "Historical Anthropology. "Area studies gave the full treatment to the condition of nation, ethnic and religious mi
norities of Europe and Latin America. Heated debates about these problems turned out to be very fruitful to prepare our research papers.
 (1) "Nation and Ethnos as a method, of Historical Studies" (Part I) December 17-19, 1989. Presentation : Yasushi YAMANOUCHI / Ryuichi NARITA
(2) "Nation and Ethnos : Comparative Studies of Europe and Asia" (Part I) February 18-20, 1990. Presentation : Kimihiko SAT0H / Hideki MASUTANI
(3) "Comparative Studies on Ethnos in Urban Areas" (Part I) March 15-16, 1990. Presentation : Osamu KAWAGOE / Ryuichi NARITA
 (1) "Nation and Ethnos as a method of Historical Studies" (Part II) December 17, 1990. Presentation : Makoto HACHITOSHI / Hiroaki OZAWA
(2) "Nation and Ethnos : Comparative Studies of Europe and Asia" (Part II) January 15-17, 1991. Presentation : Norio KINSHICHI / Hideki MASUTANI
Through the third year (1991), each member developed its research, and in January 26-27, 1992, a general meeting was held.
The works of the members are published as : MATSUMURA, Takeshi. ed., Nation and Ethnos in the Modern "European World" (Tokyo, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, 1992). Less