Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Hokkaido University(1991)|
KATAKURA Haruo(1991) Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University Associate Professor, 理学部, 助教授 (40113542)
中村 浩二 金沢大学, 理学部, 助教授 (70111755)
NOERDJITO W. A. Bogor Zoological Museum Research Fellow, 研究員
ABBAS I. Faculty of Science, Andalas University Lecturer, 理学部, 講師
ITO Fuminori Graduate School of Environmental Science, Hokkaido University JSPS Junior Scient, 環境科学研究科, 学術振興会特別研究員
KATO Makoto Biol. Lab., Yoshida College, Kyoto University Research Associate, 教養部, 助手 (80204494)
NISHIDA Takayoshi Faculty of Agriculture, Kyoto University Research Associate, 農学部, 助手 (60208189)
ヌルジト ウォロー インドネシア科学院, ボゴール動物学博物館(インドネシア), 研究員
アバス イドルス アンダラス大学, 理学部(インドネシア), 講師
松本 和馬 林野庁, 森林総合研究所・多摩森林科学園, 農林水産技官
片倉 晴雄 北海道大学, 理学部, 助教授 (40113542)
|Project Period (FY)
1990 – 1991
Completed(Fiscal Year 1991)
|Budget Amount *help
¥11,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥11,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥6,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥5,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,000,000)
|Keywords||Indonesia / Herbivorous ladybird beetles / Sumatra / Bogor / Population dynamics / Insect Ecology / Evolutionary Biology / Integrated pest control|
We have performed various kinds of field studies and laboratory experiments on phytophagous ladybird beetles (Epilachninae) in West Java and West Sumatra, Indonesia, in 1990 and 1991. A total of seven Japanese and two Indonesian researchers have been participated in this joint study. The main outcomes are :
(1) A total of 24 species of epilachnines belonging to 2 genera and 5 species groups were collected. They include at least seven new species.
(2) Sympatric species with a similar body size often are closely similar, or virtually identical in external appearance, even though they are distantly related taxonomically.
(3) It was revealed that morphology of female intrenal reproductive systems, mating durations, and modes of sperm transfer are highly valuable for the classification and phylogeny reconstruction of Asian Epilachninae.
(4) Food plants were confirmed for 23 epilachnine species. Epilachnines of the same species group tended to occur on one or a few restricted plant families.
(5) The population density of most species, except for those on crops or weeds, was revealed to be very low.
(6) Two types of populations, one on solanaceous crops and the other on a leguminous weed, were discovered in Epilachna vigintioctopunctata. On the basis of a series of experiments and field observations, it was concluded that the two types are true host races within a single species, possibly in the course of genetic divergence in sympatry.
(7) Survivorship-fertility schedules of three Epilachna species were examined under the laboratory condition, and basic population parameters were calculated.
(8) Seasonal change of population density in two Epilachna species was investigated at the Bogor Botanic Gardens. A preliminary analysis of the data obtained during November 1990 through October 1991 clearly demonstrated the depression of population densities during the extraordinary severe drought in July to September, 1991.