Study of Buddhist Site in South Asia
Grant-in-Aid for Overseas Scientific Survey.
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Kansai University|
ABOSHI Yoshinori Kansai Univ. Faculty of Literature, Professor, 文学部, 教授 (90067463)
YONEDA Fumitaka Kansai Univ. Faculty of Literature, Lecture, 文学部, 非常勤講師 (00183997)
HASHIMOTO Seiji Kansai Univ. Faculty of Literature, Professor, 文学部, 教授 (50067633)
YAMAOKA Taizou Kansai Univ. Faculty of Literature, Professor, 文学部, 教授 (50067576)
TANJI Teruyoshi Kansai Univ. Faculty of Literature, Professor, 文学部, 教授 (00067555)
SONODA Kouyuu Kansai Univ. Faculty of Literature, Professor, 文学部, 教授 (40067492)
|Project Period (FY)
Completed(Fiscal Year 1990)
|Keywords||Saheth-Maheth / Sravasti / Jetavana / 舎衛城 / 八大仏蹟|
The field research in 1990 was carried out under the purpose and program of research, and the results as described below are obtained.
1. Archaeological Research
(1) We have actually observed the antiquities at the museums in India and Pakistan which are concerned with Buddhism, in which we took pictures and some drawings of those we regarded as important one for studying the remains discovered our excavation of Jetavana (Saheth) in Sravasti sites.
(2) In order to describe the results systematically from the archaeological point of view, under the permission of A. S. I., we have surveyed some structural remains which had not ever excavated among the main structures in Sravasti (Maheth) site.
Furthermore we accumulated some data for selecting the area of excavation in Maheth site, because the preparatory research for excavation will be started in that city area from 1991.
2. Bibliographical Research
(1) We have explored the eight holy places of Buddhist pilgrimages and observed the inscription at data in each place of state museum, site museum and institute of university. We also took photographs and recorded every one of them which conceived to have much relation to those discovered in Jetavana.
(2) We are going to continue decoding the inscription to research into the construction and history of Jetavana from the bibliographical point of view.
3. Geographical Research
(1) While we investigated around the site to research topographical conditions for location, we have accumulated the fundamental data of the height above sea level and relative height around the area in Sravasti which we intend to excavate from 1991.
(2) From the view points of human geography, we have made hearing research in some settlements located around the sites and collected various data about their career and religion, etc. By studying them, we will bring the relations between the present and the past of the sites to light.
Research Products (16results)