Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||University of Marketing and Distribution Sciences|
MINAKI Mutsuhiko Assistant Professor. Fac. Commerce, Univ. of Marketing and Distribution Sciences, 商学部, 講師 (80209824)
SUBEDI M N. ネパール王立森林植物研究所, 研究官
YONEBAYASHI Chu Associate Curator. Natural History Museum and Institute, Chiba, 学芸員
YAGI Hiroshi Lecturer. Dep. of Geology, Defence Academy, 地学研究室, 助手
TSUJI Sei-ichiro Lecturer. Fac. of Science, Osaka City University, 理学部, 講師 (20137186)
TAKAYAMA Haruo Researcher. Kajima Technical Research Institute, 技術研究所, 研究員
SUGITA Hisashi Assistant. University Forest, Fac. Agriculture, Iwate University, 農学部附属演習林, 助手 (60154473)
KADOTA Yuichi Curator. Dep. of Botany, National Science Museum, 植物部門, 研究官 (30124184)
SUBEDI Mahendra N. Researcher. Department of Forestry and Plant Research, H. M. G. Nepal
SUBEDI M.N. ネパール王立森林植物研究所, 研究官
|Project Period (FY)
1990 – 1991
Completed(Fiscal Year 1991)
|Budget Amount *help
¥10,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥10,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥5,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥5,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,000,000)
|Keywords||Vegetational History. / Last Glacial Age. / Nepal. / Himalaya. / Plant fossil. / 植生変還|
1. Geomorphological development and Stratigraphy
(1) Three glacial developments were observed at the Shiptong Pass Area, Eastern Nepal. These reflect the Early Last Glacial, Late Last Glacial, and Post Glacial developments of the glacier.
(2) Similar glacial developments were also observed at the mountains near Jumula, Western Nepal.
(3) These results are supported by the radiocarbon dating, and is the first direct evidence of the age of development of glacier in Himalayan region.
(4) Based on the field geological survey. terrace deposits around the Katmandu Basin seem to be the Middle Pleistocene, which were regarded to Last Glacial deposits.
2. Vegetational survey
(1) Vegetation including the herbaceous flora were studied at 17 sites in Eastern Nepal, and 14 sites in Western Nepal.
(2) Three permanent quadrats were settled at Shiwapuri, north of Katmandu Valley.
3. Surface pollen assemblages and vegetation history
(1) We take surface pollen samples at each site of the vegetational study. Vegetations and the pollen assemblages exhibit the gross resemblances, but some taxa are lacking in the pollen flora which are common in the present vegetation.
(2) Middle Pleistocene sediments of Katmandu Valley yield two types of plant macrofossil assemblages. The first type includes Quercus semecarpifolia and Tsuga, which reflects the dry and cool glacial age, and another type includes Quercus glauca which reflects the wet and warm interglacial age.
(3) Fossil assemblages of the cirque lake sediments are now on study.
4. Other results
(1) About 10, 000 sheets of plant specimens were collected in 1990 and 1991.
(2) They include new species, new varieties, and new distributions. We will publish them successively.
(3) We will distribute one set of the plant and fossil specimens to DFPR, Nepal. Some of them were already brought to DFPR in 1991.