Grant-in-Aid International Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University|
EZURA Yoshio(1991) Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, 水産学部, 教授 (80001618)
木村 喬久 北海道大学, 水産学部, 教授 (60001583)
NISHIZAWA Toyohiko Faculty of Applied Biological Science, Hiroshima University, 生物生産学部, 助手 (10222184)
TAJIMA Kenichi Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, 水産学部, 助教授 (80002252)
HEDRICK Ron P. Department of Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine University of California, 獣医学科, 助教授
WINTON James R. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Fisheries Research Center, 国立魚類研究所・ウイルス部門, 主任研究員
FRYER J.L. オレゴン州立大学, 微生物学科, 教授
YOSHIMIZU Mamoru Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, 水産学部, 助手 (40122915)
KIMURA Takahisa Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, 水産学部, 名誉教授 (60001583)
FRYER John L. Department of Microbiology, Oregon State University
絵面 良男 北海道大学, 水産学部, 助教授 (80001618)
|Project Fiscal Year
1990 – 1991
Completed(Fiscal Year 1991)
|Budget Amount *help
¥5,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥2,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥2,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,900,000)
|Keywords||VHSV / Salmonid fish / Rhabdovirus / Subunit vaccine / Control measure / Anti-viral substance / U. V. susceptibility / Disinfectant / IHNV / HRV / HRV / 病原性 / ELISA|
Studies on the etiology, pathogenicity and control of viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus.
At first, this joint research was conducted to know the distribution and incidence of the virus causing viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHSV) in the United States of America and Japan, and then pathogenicity of VHSV against the American and Japanese salmonid fish was studied. Based on the biological and physical characteristics of VHSV, effective control measures were discussed. Results are summarized as follows :
1) VHSV was found in coho and chinook salmon at two hatcheries in Washington during the 1989 spawning season. It was also found in coho salmon at two hatcheries and cod in 1990. Although infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus (IHNV) was isolated in Japan, VHSV was not found until now.
2) Diagnostic methods to detect the VHSV antigen and antibody in the serum were studied and some diagnostic methods have been established. Monoclonal antibody based on FAT and ELISA method was established to detect the virus antigen, and ELISA method to use the masu salmon Ig and rainbow trout Ig was established to detect the antibody in the sera.
3) Viral structural proteins of VHS, IHNV and HRV were compared by SDS-PAGE. The three viruses were distinguished by SDS-PAGE.
4) VHSV isolates from North America did not show the pathogenicity against American coho and chinook salmon, rainbow trout, and also the Japanese chum and pink salmon.
5) To establish control measures, effect of the disinfectant on the virus infectivity, U. V. susceptibility, salt resistance and survivability of the virus in the eggs were studied. VHSV, IHNV and HRV were disinfected by commercial disinfectant and showed high susceptibility to U. V. Although the infectivity of these viruses was stable in 7.5 % salt condition, infectivity was decreased in the unfertilized eggs.
6) Based on the base the above results, surveillance of the virus is very important. Eggs and equipments should, likewise, be disinfected with iodine.