OTSUKA Yutaka Hiroshima Univ., Research Inst. for Higher Education, Assoc. Prof., 大学教育研究センター, 助教授 (00116550)
SAITO Yasuo NIER, Dept. of International Education, Sect. Head, 国際研究・協力部, 室長 (30132690)
ABE Hiroshi NIER, Dept. of International Education, Director, 国際研究・協力部, 部長 (40000046)
KIMURA Hiroshi NIER, Dept. of International Education, Sect. Head, 国際研究・協力部, 室長 (90124180)
KANEKO Tadashi NIER, Dept. of Educational Management, Sect. Head, 教育経営研究部, 室長 (80000058)
Recently, upper secondary education and higher education have been rapidly popularized and more higher education institutions are diversified. Reflecting the considerable criticism against Japanese upper secondary education for its uniformity and rigidity, schools are expected to be more diversified and flexible.
This research project aimed at investigating current situation of upper secondary education in various countries from comparative viewpoint and expects to contribute to the reform of our system in Japan.
Major activities of this three-year-project are as follows:
1. In the initial two years, in order to understand the system, philosophy, history and current condition of upper secondary education in each country, we collected materials and analyzed them, which led us to the final report in the third year.
2. We selected Asian countries such as China, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and India, as well as major countries like U.K., U.S.A., France, Germany, ex-U.S.S.R., Latin America and Australia.
3. We had one or two general meetings every year, and also had separate meetings for respective regions to exchange opinions on studies of each member. Based on these studies, some reports have been presented at academic conferences and on journals. We also published following collection of materials and bibliographies.
(1) Comparative Study of Upper Secondary Education: Bibliography I: Publications in Japanese, 139p., May 1991
(2) Comparative Study of Upper Secondary Education: Bibliography II; Publications in Foreign Languages, 204p., March 1992
(3) Comparative Study of Upper Secondary Education: Major Laws and Ordinances and Other Documents of the World, 278p., March 1992
Our final report, A Comparative Study on Historical Development and Policies of Upper Secondary Education (410p.), consisting of thirty articles and materials, was published in March 1993.