Grant-in-Aid for Developmental Scientific Research (B).
|Research Institution||Osaka University|
NISHIHARA Hiroshi Osaka University, Faculty of Engineering, Professor, 工学部, 教授 (00029018)
URA Shogo Osaka University, Faculty of Engineering, Research Associate, 工学部, 助手 (10193955)
SUHARA Toshiaki Osaka University, Faculty of Engineering, Associate Professor, 工学部, 助教授 (90116054)
|Project Fiscal Year
1990 – 1991
Completed(Fiscal Year 1991)
|Budget Amount *help
¥6,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥1,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥5,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,500,000)
|Keywords||Optical Integrated Circuits / Optical Information Processing / Optical Waveguides / Acoustoptic Devices / Parallel Data Processing / 光集積回路 / 光情報処理 / 光導波路 / 音響光学デバイス / 並列情報処理|
1. Survay on applications of integrated optics for information processing
A survey was made on the applications of integrated optics devices using LiNbO_3 waveguides alid grating components for optical information processing and optical computing, and the possibilities and the device feasibilities were discussed.
2. Fabrication of integrated-optic RF spectrum analyzer and integrated laser printer head
(1) The two kinds of devices were designed and the details of the specifications were determined, and the theoretical performances were clalyfied.
(2) Fabrication techniques for the acoustooptic deflector/modulator using electron beam writing were established, and a frequency bandwidth of 1GHz was accomplished.
(3) Fabrication technique of Fresnel lenses in LiNbO_3 waveguide was established.
(4) Integrated devices were implemented and the operations were experimentally demonstrated.
3. Evaluation and improvement of the device performances
(1) The overall performances of the tio devices were evaluated, and it was clarified that an important factor that limits the performances was the efficiency of grating couplers.
(2) To improve the efficiency of grating couplers, a high-index-layer cladded type was newly proposed, and it was shown through the theoretital analysis that efficiencies over 90% were feasible. A high efficiency of 89% was experimetally accomplished.
4. Development for future alllications
(1) An integrated acoustoptic correlator configuration was proposed, and the operation was demonstrated experimentally with a fabircated device.
(2) An integrated-optic full-parallel matrix-vector multipiler was proposed and demonstrated.
(3) To enable integration of short-wavelength light source, waveguide second harmonic generation devices were designed. Preliminary experiment was made with encouraging results.
(4) As a method for coupling parallel data in free space into a waveguide, imaging by a focusing grating coupler was studied. The possibility was experimentally demonstrated.