Zoonotic bacterial and parasitic agents in the intestinal contents of approximately 1,200 rats trapped at restaurants and groceries in buildings in central Tokyo were investigated. The results obtained were as follows :
(1) Recovery rate of Salmonella was 1.5%(17/1,129) as a whole. Sero-groups identified were S.Typhimurium(6 strains), S.Hadar(5 strains), S.Isaugi(2 strains), S.Litchfield(2 strains), S.Enteritis(1 strain), and S.Senftenberg(1 strain).
(2) Recovery rate of Yersinia was 29.8%(348/1,169). Speicies identified and thier recovery rates were Y.frederiksenii, 15.1% ; Y.enterocolitica, 15.0% ; Y.intermedia, 4.2% ; and Y.Kristensenii, 1.0%.
(3) Staphylococcus aureus was isolated at a rate of 18.1%(165/910). Biotypes of the isolates(165 strains) classified and their incidences were biotype G, 20.0% ; biotype B, 3.9% ; biotype A, 11.5% ; biotype C, 5.5% ; biotype D, 1.2% ; and untypable, 47.9%. Coagulase types detected were V(55.7%), VII,III,II,I,VIII, and IV in decreasing order of fr
(4) Recovery rate of genus Vibrio was 13.3%. Species identified and their frequencies were V.cholerae non-01, 6.2% ; V.fluvialis, 5.6% ; V.alginolyticus, 3.2% ; V.furnissii, 2.6% ; V.parahaemolyticus, 1,5% ; and V.metschnikovii, 0.7%. V.parahaemolyticus strains fall into 26 serogroups and all were negative in Kanagawa phenomenon.
(5) Recovery rate of genus Listeria was 19.2%(133/692). Species recognized and isolation rates were L.innocua, 10.5% and L.monocytogenes, 9.0%. Serogroups of L.monocytogenes identified were 4b, 1/2b, 1/2c, 3c, and 7 in decreasing order of frequency.
(6) Leptospira was not detected from 150 rats examined by inoculation of kidney homogenates into guinea pigs.
(7) No rats tested (519) were positive for Campylobacter.
(8) Internal parasites detected and their recovery rates were Protospirura muris, 8.0% ; Capillaria hepatica, 1.8% ; Strongiloides ratti, 1.3% ; Heterakis spumosa, 0.4% ; Hymenolepsis nana, 9.8% ; Hymenolepsis diminuta, 1.8% ; and Cysticercus fasciolaris, 0.9% Less