Language information Processing in Schizophrenia
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Department of Neuropsychiatry, School of Medicine, Kyorin University|
KOGA Yoshihiko Kyorin Univ., Neuropsychiatry, Assistant Professor, 医学部, 助教授 (70104643)
MATSUOKA Kunihiko Kyorin Univ., Neuropsychiatry, Assistant, 医学部, 助手
TAGUCHI Hiroyuki Kyorin Univ., Neuropsychiatry, Assistant, 医学部, 助手
KODAMA Kensuke Kyorin Univ., School of Medicine, Assistant Professor, 医学部, 助教授 (30086590)
|Project Period (FY)
1990 – 1991
Completed(Fiscal Year 1991)
|Budget Amount *help
¥400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥400,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥400,000)
|Keywords||event-related potential (ERP) / P300 / mismatch negativity (MMN) / concept formation / schizophrenia / verbal task / language information processing / 非言語性聴覚刺激 / mismatch negativity(MMN) / 3次元電源双極子解 / 情報処理 / 認知障害 / 言語情報処理 / ERP / トポグラフィ-|
Language information processing in schizophrenia
We tried to study the disturbance of language information processingin schizophrenia with ERPs as a tool.
Acute schizophrenic patients and chronic schizophrenic patients who met DSM-IIIR criteria participated in the first experiment which was conducted in 1990. They were exposed to the visual oddball tasks(verbal tasks)which were designed to study the concept formation of colors.
Major results were as follows :
1. The amplitudes of P300 were significantly smaller in the acute schizophrenic patients as compared with the healthy controls particularly in the left hemispheric areas. The P300 amplitudes did not show the significant change through the acute phase.
2. In the chronic patients, the P300 amplitudes were significantly smallering both hemispheric areas.
3. The locations of the electrical dipole sources of P300 of the chronic schizophrenic patients were located differently from those of the healthy controls.
In 1991, as a second experiment, we measured the latencies and amplitudes of the mismatch negativity components(MMN)of the non-verbal auditory tasks in the chronic schizophrenic patients. Following results were obtained.
1. No significant difference was found between the latencies of the MMN of the schizophrenic patients and those of the controls. The ampltudes of the MMN between the two groups were not different significantly, either.
2. The electrical dipole source locations was identical for both groups.
These results indicate that the disturbance of concept formation of verbal informations exist in the schizophrenic patients even in the acute phase and it develops to a greater degree in the chronic phase. Incontrast, there might be no disturbance in the stage of automatic processing of non-verbal informations as shown by the results of MMN.
Consequently the schizophrenic patients might have disturbance in the language information processing particularly in the higher stages.
Research Output (17results)