Light-Induced Self Organization Phenomena in Polymer Alloys and Its Application to Design Novel Polymer Materials.
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C).
|Research Institution||Kyoto Institute of Technology|
TRANCONG・QUI 京都工芸繊維大学, 繊維学部, 助手
TRAN-CONG Qui Kyoto Institute of Technology, Assistant Professor, 繊維学部, 助手 (50188827)
|Project Fiscal Year
1990 – 1991
Completed(Fiscal Year 1991)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1990 : ¥1,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,800,000)
|Keywords||Polymer Alloy / Polystyrene / Poly (vinyl methyl ether) / Polybutadiene / Photo-Cross-Link / Photodimerization / Reaction-Diffusion / Rayleigh-Benard Instability / ポリマ-ブレンド / ポリスチレン / ポリブタジエン / アントラセンの二量化反応 / スピノ-ダル分解 / 反応・拡散機構 / 光散乱 / X線小角散乱 / アントラセン / 二量化反応 / ポリマ-アロイ / 光架橋 / 熱力学的不安定性 / 反応ー拡散機構 / 自己組織化|
The Purposes of this work are :
1) Investigation of the self organization process in binary Polymer blends irradiated with UV light.
2) Elucidation of the possibility for taking advantage of this mechanism to design novel polyner materials with the ordered structures in micrometer range.
At first, Polystyrene/poly(2-chlorostyrene)(PS/P2CS)and polystyrene/poly(vinyl methyl ether)(PS/PVME)blends were irradiated during the time evolution of the spinodal decomposition Process. The photo-cross-link reactions between PS chains are induced via the photodimerization of anthracene moieties which are covalently attached to PS chains. The effects of irradiation intensity, irradiation time, annealing temperature and T-jump depths on the resulting morphology were examined by using phase-contrast optical microscope, light scattering and small-angle X-ray scattering.
The following results were obtained :
- The concentration fluctuations developing during the spinodal decomposition process were efficiently
frozen upon irradiation with either XeF excimer laser or ffg lamp. These results indicate that by taking advantage of photo-cross-link reactions, multiphase polymer materials with various ordered structures in the mum range can be designed.
- Further analysis of the ordered structures resulting from irradiation shows that the reaction between PS does not only freeze the concentration fluctuations but also modify these structures. 'For PS/P2CS submitted to a shallow T-jump, the light scattering profile exhibits multiple scattering peaks, revealing the unusual effects of irradiation.
- To separate the contribution of the spinodal structures to the effects of. photo-cross-link, irradiation experiments were performed in the one-phase region of Polystyrene/polybutadiene(PS/PB). It was found that photo-cross-link reactions between PB chains result in the large modulated structures with internal domains
- A reaction-diffusion model taking into account of the nonlinear reactions between polymer chains in a binary polymer mixture was proposed in ordered to explain these morphology. Alternatively, there is another possibility for the origin of the ordered structures revealed by irradiation with laser, That is the convection caused by the extra heat originated from the radiationless process of'excited anthracenes. Actually, the morphology obtained by irradiating PSA/P2CS blends with XeF excimer laser shows the typical dissipative structures of the Rayleigh-Benard type.
The competition between reaction-diffusion Turing instability and Rayleigh-Benard instability for polymer alloys irradiated with light is currently investigated by computer simulation.
c)アントラセン間の光二量化反応は非線形反応であるため、光照射したポリマ-ブレンドにおいてTuring不安定性の発現が期待されるが、この問題を明らかにするためには、Polymer Networkの弾性項をGibbsの自由エネルギ-に導入し、反応項を含んだ連続方程式を立て、線形安定解析法によって、反応しつつあるポリマ-ブレンドの不安定性を解析する必要がある。これらの研究は現在進行中である。 Less
Research Output (20results)