Joint Research on Pathogenesis of Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada Disease
Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||KYUSHU UNIVERSITY|
INOMATA Hajime Kyushu University, 医学部, 教授 (30038674)
猪俣 盂(1992) 九州大学, 医学部, 教授
KOHNO Toshihiko Kyushu University, 医学部, 講師 (00091306)
STEPHEN J Ryan University of Southern California, 医学部, 教授
NARSINGADUPA ラオ 南カリフォルニア, 医学部, 教授
NARSING Adupa Rao University of Southern California
STEPHEN J.Ry 南カルフォルニア大学, 医学部, 教授
NARSING A.Ra 南カルフォルニア大学, 医学部, 教授
|Project Period (FY)
1991 – 1992
Completed(Fiscal Year 1992)
|Budget Amount *help
¥4,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1992 : ¥1,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥3,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,000,000)
|Keywords||Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada Disease / Behcet's Disease / Vitiligo / Uveitis / Sun-set Glow Fundus / Class II Antigen / Keratic Precipitates / Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1(ICAM-1) / フォ-クト・小柳・原田病 / ベ-チェット病 / エイズ / 日和見感染 / HLAクラスII抗原 / 網脈絡膜炎|
In order to clarify the pathogenesis of Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease, joint study was performed between Kyushu University and University of Southern California from 1991 to 1993. Methods of the joint study were exchanges the data of uveitis patients and the clinical and basic knowledge accumulated in both institutions. Particular attention was focused on whether or not there is fundamental difference clinically and histopathologically in patients with Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease between the two different countries.
1. Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease in University of Southern California was mostly seen among Mexican and oriental immigrants. Clinical features of the disease are quite similar to those seen in the patients of Japan.
2. Cytomegalovirus retinitis, toxoplasmic retinochoroiditis, and cryptococcus choroiditis, which occur as an opportunistic infection in AIDS patients, were the most serious disease in uveitis of University of Southern California.
3. Class II major histocompatibility
complex was expressed in the choroidal melanocytes as well as in the endothelium of choriocapillaris in autopsy eyes from two Japanese patients with Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease. The results indicate that choroidal melanocytes appear to play a pathogenic role in Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease.
4. The cell-mediated immunological reaction similar to those in the choroid was detectd in the lesion of vitiligo of a patients with Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease.
5. Histopathological features of eyes with Behcet's disease were retinal vasculitis and vitreo-retinal proliferative changes associated with choroidal neovascularization.
6. Expression of Intercellular adhesion molecule-1(ICAM-1) was demonstrated in the rat corneal endothelium in experimental uveitis induced by interphotoreceptor peptides (R-4) as an immunogen using immunohistochemical methods.
7. The results of the joint study were published in a book chapter of "Ocular Infection and Immunity" entitled on "Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada Syndrome". The book will be published by Mosby Year Book in 1993. Less
Research Products (21results)