THE NEW PERSPECTIVES TO IMPLEMENT CONSUMER ECUCATION AND CONSISTENCY OF ITS CURRICULUM FOR ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
Education on school subjects and activities
|Research Institution||SAITAMA UNIVERSITY|
|Project Period (FY)
1991 – 1993
Completed(Fiscal Year 1993)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1993 : ¥300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥300,000)
Fiscal Year 1992 : ¥400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥400,000)
Fiscal Year 1991 : ¥1,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,300,000)
|Keywords||Consumer Education / Protection of Consumer / Consumer rights and Responsibilities / Critical Thinking / PCCI / Decision Making / National Curriculum / ディシジョン・グリッド / 消費者の権利と責任|
1. The revision of Course of Study in 1989 put empahsis on consumer education in accordance with the changing world, and marked the 2nd epoch in the history of consumer education. It's not the succesion to the 1st epoch emphasizing "Protection of Consumer" in the 1970's, but the very "New Epoch" that requires fostering of self-reliance as consumers.
2. I've clarified the concrete viewpoints and ways to implement New consumer education efficiently, by studying the PCCI's guidelines on consumer education and the teaching plans in economics and consumer education in the U.S., and actual siginificances of cross-curricular themes in the National Curriculum in the U.K.After the studies I concluded it was the time to organize learning activities on consumer education in the school curriculum as well as the themes mentioned above.
I managed to help members of the Research Team in NICE draw up teaching plans using the U.S.teaching resouces in terms of consumer education, while I implemeted the su
rvey of Japanese students' awareness on consumer affairs. These studies helped me discover three factors as "Organizing center" of consumer education inevitably related to several subjects. Three factors above are :
(1) putting emphasis on learning of decision making processes through critical thinking
(2) putting emphasis to help students become aware of and improve the philosophy of their lives as consumers
(3) putting emphasis on learning activities that make good use of students' experiences.
4. As a result of this research, "Social Studies and Consumer Education" was published in Journal of Saitama University(Faculty of Education), vol.41, No.1, 1992, and "Research Report" is published as a further result of the research. In addition, "Consumer Education in Elementary Schools" in accordance with the research theme as well as "Consumer Ecucation in Lower Secondary Schools" is going to be published as a leading article in "Teaching Materials Related to Consumer Life" edited by Saitama Prefecural Government. "New Epoch of Consumer Education and the Hints for Designing its Teaching Plans" is going to be published as a leading article in the final report of the research team in NICE (National Institute on Consumer Education) Less
Research Products (24results)