The political, social amd cultural change in Okinawa between 1972, the year of her reversion to Japan, and 1992
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||University of the Ryukyus|
HIYANE Teruo University of the Ryukuyus, Professor, 教養部, 教授 (10045172)
前門 晃 琉球大学, 教養部, 助教授 (60190287)
赤嶺 守 琉球大学, 教養部, 助教授 (20212417)
渡名喜 明 琉球大学, 教養部, 助教授 (20217516)
仲地 博 琉球大学, 教養部, 教授 (80045202)
森田 孟進 琉球大学, 教養部, 教授 (40045167)
HIYANE Teruo University of the Ryukuyus, Professor (10045172)
小那覇 洋子 琉球大学, 法文学部, 助教授 (00224262)
|Project Period (FY)
1992 – 1994
Completed(Fiscal Year 1994)
|Budget Amount *help
¥11,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥11,900,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥1,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1993 : ¥2,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1992 : ¥8,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥8,000,000)
|Keywords||Political and social change / Cultural transformation / Reversion / Military forces / Mainland / Natural environment / Cross-cultural communication / The occupation by the U.S.Military / 沖縄返還 / 復帰思想 / 開発 / 沖縄文化論 / 芥川賞作家 / 尖閣列島 / 自然災害 / 米軍基地 / 異文化接触 / 赤土流出 / ユタ|
This study describes how Okinawa's actual situation has changed politically and socially. It also indicates what cultural transformation has occurred between 1972, the year of her reversion to Japan, and 1992.
The result of the study can be summarized as follows ;
1. The political and social situation
(1) The presence of American military forces in Okinawa characterized Okinawan society as one of the important key stones in East Asia. The study shows that the situation according to U.S.military strategic needs has not changed since 1945, a period which includes the twenty years since the reversion to Japanese sovereignty.
(2) Before the reversion, the social system in Okinawa was quite different from that of mainland Japan in various aspects. Japanization in Okinawan society after the reversion has produced greater social and cultural uniformity with the mainland. However, there were historical and cultrural conflicts between Okinawa and the mainland. As a result many kinds of contradictio
ns as well as new possibilities have been created.
(3) The reversion has brought dramatically increased Japanese government investment to Okinawa, and in consequence the natural environment has been greatly affected.
2. The cultural situation
(1) The presence of U.S.military forces has greatly influenced Okinawan culture as well as the mentality of the Okinawan people. Cross-cultural communication between U.S.military personnel and Okinawan people has brought American culture to Okinawa. These cultural phenomena have persisted into the post-reversion period in Okinawan society.
(2) The study also shows that indigenous po ; ular religion has been transformed, but is still practiced widely in Okinawan Society.
In summary the occupation by the U.S.military has influenced traditional culture and the social structure of Okinawa. Moreover, the reversion has brought dramatic change to Okinawan society. The characteristic of Okinawa that include political social and cultural change over the past fifty years are irradiating Japanese society. Less
Research Output (6results)