Study on the physiological function of bombyxin
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Nagoya University|
MIZOGUCHI Akira Nagoya University, School of Science, Associate Professor, 理学部, 助教授 (60183109)
|Project Period (FY)
1992 – 1994
Completed(Fiscal Year 1994)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1993 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1992 : ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
|Keywords||Bombyx mori / Insulin-like peptide / Bombyxin / Fluoroimmunoassay / Metamorphosis / Metabolism / Trehalase / glycogen / 分泌動態 / 時間分解蛍光免疫測定法 / 糖代謝 / 脂質代謝 / 時間分解螢光免疫測定法 / 血糖低下作用 / トレハロース / 微量定量法 / モノクローナル抗体|
1. We produced many kinds of mouse monoclonal antibodies against synthetic bombyxin-II and developed a time-resolved fluoroimmunoassay (TR-FIA) for bombyxin. This assay method is superior to the conventional radioimmunoassay in sensitivity, simplicity, safety and time-saving.
2. Using TR-FIA,we examined the changes in bombyxin titer in hemolymph during larva-pupa-adult development of the silkmoth, Bombyx mori. The titer was low in the larval stage, while high in the early and middle pupal stages. A steep rise in the titer was observed immediately after eclosion only in males. Hemolymph lipid also increased after eclosion only in males, suggesting a possibility that bombyxin is involved in the regulation of lipid metabolism.
3. We investigated the physiological function of bombyxin in Bombyx larvae and obtained the following results.
1) Bombyxin has a hypotrehalosemic activity.
2) Bombyxin increases the trehalase activity in the midgut and integument (including muscles).
3) Bombyxin has no effect on trehalose synthase activity in the fat body.
4) Bombyxin decreases glycogen content in the fat body.
These results suggested that bombyxin regulates sugar and lipid metabolism and that bombyxin plays an important role (s) in the process of metamorphosis.
Research Output (14results)