Characteristics of Recent Glacier Variations in Patagonia, Southern Andes
Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Hokkaido University|
NARUSE Renji Associate Professor Institute of Low Temperature Science, Hokkaido University, 低温科学研究所, 助教授 (10002099)
PISANO Edmundo Professor Instituto de la Patagonia, Universidad de Magallanes, Chile, パタゴニア研究所, 名誉教授
RIVERA Andres Research Assistant Department of Geography, Universidad de Chile, 地理学科, 助手
IBARZABAL Teresa Researcher Servicio Meteorologico Nacional, Fuerza Aerea Argentina, 気候部, 研究員
VIDAL Fernando Head of Hydrology Resources Division Direccion General de Aguas, Chile, 水局・水文研究課, 研究員
LEIVA Juan Researcher Instituto Argentino de Nivologia y Glaciologia, Argentina, 地域研究センター, 地球科学部長
SKVARCA Pedro Head of Glaciology Division Instituto of Antartico Argentino, 氷河学部門, 主任
SATO Kazuhide Professor Nagaoka College of Technology, 教授 (80113398)
ANIYA Masamu Associate Professor Institute of Geoscience, The University of Tsukuba, 地球科学系, 助教授 (10111361)
|Project Period (FY)
Completed(Fiscal Year 1993)
|Budget Amount *help
¥9,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥9,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1993 : ¥9,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥9,000,000)
|Keywords||Patagonia / Patagonian Glacier / Glacier Variation / Thickness Change of Glacier / Glacier Flow / Heat Balance on Glacier / Glacial Landform / Ice Radar|
Glaciological researches were carried out in November and December 1993, at Upsala, Moreno and Tyndall glaciers in the Southern Patagonia Icefield, southern Andes in South America. Outline of the studies accomplished is as follows :
1. Measurements of glacier surface heights were made by a triangulation method in the ablation areas of the above three glaciers. By comparing the data obtained in November-December 1990, it was found that Upsala Glacier has thinned from 30 to 45 m and Tyndall Glacier has thinned from 10 to 15 m during the last three years. Whereas Moreno Glacier has been almost in a steady state.
2. Distributions and short-term variations of ice flow velocities were measured at Moreno and Upsala glaciers. Velocities fluctuated from 0.4 to 1.2 cm/hour at a point near the margin of Moreno Glacier. Strain rates of glacier surface were also obtained at Moreno and Tyndall glaciers by a strain grid method.
3. An aerial survey around the Northern Patagonia Icefield was accomplished in the end of December 1993. Using the oblique aerial photographs taken, variations of frontal positions of about 20 outlet glaciers are analyzed. Most glaciers have retreated considerably.
4. Meteorological parameters and ablation rates of ice were observed on the bare-ice of Moreno and Tyndall glaciers during the periods of 15 days in November and 15 days in December 1993, respectively. Characteristics of meteorological conditions and heat balance are discussed.
5. Geomorphological research was carried out in the Ameghino Valley, around the terminus of Upsala Glacier and in the eastern area of Tyndall Glacier. Much information of the recent glacier variations was obtained.
Research Output (10results)