Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo|
KOTANI Akio University of Tokyo, Institute for Solid State Physics, Professor, 物性研究所, 教授 (90029504)
ABBATE M. Brazil, Laboratorio Nacional de Luz Sincrotron, Researcher, 研究員
STEINER P. Universitat des Saarlandes, Fachbereich Physik, Chiet Researcher, 主任研究員
CARRA P. European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Researcher Associate, 研究員
VAN der Laan ダレスベリー研究所, 研究員
THOLE B.t. University of Groningen, Materials Science Center, Researcher, 研究員
PARLEBAS J.c. Institute de physique et Chimie des Materiaux de Strasbourg, Chief Researcher, パスツール大学), 主任研究員
SAWATZKY G.A グロニンゲン大学, 教授
TANAKA Satoshi University of Osaka Prefecture, College of Engineering, Research Associate, 工学部, 助手 (80236588)
OKADA Kozo Yamaguchi University, Faculty of Education, Associate Professor, 教育学部, 助教授 (70194355)
SHIN Shigi University of Tokyo, Institute for Solid State Physics, Associate Professor, 物性研究所, 助教授 (00162785)
FUJIMORI Atsushi University of Tokyo, Department of Physics, Associate Professor, 理学部, 助教授 (10209108)
JO Takeo Hiroshima University, Institute of Materials Science, Professor, 理学部, 教授 (20093487)
LAAN G.van der Daresbury Laboratory, Researcher
SWATSUKI G.a. University of Groningen, Materials Science Center, Professor
CARRA P ESRF, 研究員
ABBATE M ナイメゲン大学, 講師
THOLE B.T グロニンゲン大学, 研究員
PARLEBAS J.C CNRS(ルイ, パスツール大学), 主任研究員
|Project Period (FY)
1993 – 1994
Completed(Fiscal Year 1994)
|Budget Amount *help
¥4,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥2,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1993 : ¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,000,000)
|Keywords||High energy spectroscopy / X-ray Absorption / Photoelectron emission / Rare erath / Transition metal compounds / Multiplet / Valence mixing / Auger relaxation / 稀土類|
The purpose of this project is to develop both theoretical and experimental studies of "high energy spectroscopy", such as X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) and X-ray photoemission spectroscoppy (XPS), by the collaboration of representative Japanese and European researchers. The main results of the joint research are as follows :
1. For shallow core levels of heavy rare-earths and transition elements, it is revealed that the lifetime of final states of XPS has a strong multiplet-term-dependence. By this finding, long-standing problems in the interpretation of rare-earths 4d XPS and transition element 3p XPS are resolved (contributors : Kotani, Okada, Thole and Sawatzky).
2. The effect of the term-dependent lifetime mentioned above is also important in X-ray emission spectroscopy (XES). Both theoretical and experimental studies along this line is now in progress (Kotani, Tanaka, Parlebas and Shin).
3. Systemetic study of electronic states of light transition-metal oxides has been performed by analysing XPS and XAS data. The existence of very strong covalency hybridization between transition element 3d and oxygen 2p is pointed out (Kotani, Okada, Shin, Palebas and Steiner).
4. Anomalously strong valence-mixing is found from the analysis of XAS and XPS of CePd_7. At the same time, the surface Ce ion in CePd_7 is in the trivalent state (Kotani, Parlebas, Shin and Fujimori).
5. Tre high spin-low spin transition in LaCoO_3 is studied by XAS and XPS.Theoretical analyzes by a cluster model and a band model are also performed (Fujimori, Abbate and Sawatzky).
6. On magnetic X-ray dichroism in XAS of ferromagnetic materials, the exchange of new information has been made (Jo, van der Laan, Thole and Carra).