A Basic Study on Sign Language Development and the Evaluation of Language Abilities
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||The National Institute of Special Education|
WASHIO Junichi NISE,Dep.of Education for the Hearing and Speech Handicapped, Section Chief., 聴覚・言語障害教育研究部, 研究室長 (80220854)
AGATSUMA Toshihiro Joetu University of Education, Assist.Professor., 学校教育学部・, 助教授 (00124206)
SUGAWARA Hiroichi NISE,Dep.of Education for the Hearing and Speech Handicapped, Director., 聴覚・言語障害教育研究部, 研究部長 (30000269)
ODA Yoshiaki NISE,Dep.of Education for the Hearing and Speech Handicapped, Chief Researcher., 聴覚・言語障害教育研究部, 主任研究官 (30158828)
|Project Period (FY)
1993 – 1994
Completed(Fiscal Year 1994)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 1993 : ¥1,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,500,000)
|Keywords||sign language / baby sign language / language development / manual function / evaluation of language abilities / deaf parents / 両親聴覚障害家庭 / 養育援助 / 聴覚障害児|
1) The development of sign language in a deaf child who has been taken care of by the deaf parents
The communication scenes between a deaf child and his deaf parents has been recorded by video tapes at regular intervals for two years starting from one year 3 months old. Actual uses of sign language, oral speech, signs of Cued Speech and movements of eyes were analized.
The main results are as follows :
(1) Baby sign language : Initially mother modified sign language in order that her child might easily hendle it. And sign language modified by the child had been also observed until 3 years old.
(2) Functional differentiation of manual movement : As manual function differentiates and cognition develops, complex and simultaneous expressions of sign language come out.
(3) Functional differentiation of finger pointing : Several patterns of combination between finger pointing and sign language were observed. With the complication of eye movements and combination with finger pointing, ways of expression increased.
Relation to Cued Speech : Mother uses Cued Speech with sign language, because the school which the child belongs to adopts it. At present the Cue Signs which the child uses do not represent so much phonemes but as a sort of representative signs.
2) Study of evaluation system for sign language abilities
(1) Basic idea about evaluation system for language abilities of deaf children was discussed.
(2) The overview of recent studies about sign language development and it's evaluation system in Japan and The United States was described.
Research Products (6results)