Comparative Research on Minority Education in Japan and U.S.
Grant-in-Aid for International Scientific Research.
|Section||Joint Research .|
|Research Institution||Osaka University|
IKEDA Hiroshi Faculty of Human Sciences, Osaka University, 人間科学部, 教授 (40093364)
麻生 誠 放送大学, 教育学部, 教授 (00014689)
BOOCOCK Sara ラトガー大学, 教育大学院, 教授
WILKINSON Lo ラトガー大学, 教育大学院, 教授
SHIMAHARA No ラトガー大学, 教育大学院, 教授
高田 一宏 大阪大学, 人間科学部, 助手 (80273564)
木村 涼子 大阪女子大学, 学芸学部, 助教授 (70224699)
平沢 安政 大阪大学, 人間科学部, 教授 (50243150)
友田 泰正 大阪大学, 人間科学部, 教授 (90087883)
WILKINSON Louise.C Graduate School of Education, Rutgers University
BOOCOCK Sarane.S Graduate School of Education, Rutgers University
SHIMAHARA Nobuo Graduate School of Education, Rutgers University
TAKADA Kazuhiro Faculty of Human Sciences, Osaka University
HIRASAWA Yasumasa Faculty of Human Sciences, Osaka University
KIMURA Ryoko Collage of Arts and Sciences, Osaka Women's University
ASO Makoto College of Liberal Arts, The University of the Air.
TOMODA Yasumasa Faculty of Human Sciences, Osaka University
|Project Fiscal Year
1994 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥13,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥13,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥4,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥4,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,800,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥4,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,400,000)
|Keywords||minority education / マイノリティ教育 / 同和教育 / 地域教育計画 / 学校改革|
The aim of our research is to explore the factors influencihg school achievement of the Buraku children. We observed children's behavior in the elementary school, junior high school, youth center, and day care center. We had also interviews with many educators and parents. Our research focus was mainly on ;
1. school teachers' everydey work and their construction of pedagogy
2. child bearing of the Buraku parents and their attitude to the schooling
3. relatonships between schools, youth center, day care center, and parents
Our major findings were ;
1. Elementary School teachers are confronted by difficulties in maintaining order in the classrooms. Some teachers are beginning to change their pedagogy, stressing differences of each child and individualization on the teaching method, but many others are reluctant to change the present state. The latter assume that individualization would do harm to the interpersonal relations among children in some way. While they have strong sense of accounta
bility to the children, they cannot cooperate with the parents or the youth center. They carry a heavy load on their shoulders, and thereby overloaded.
2. Parents living in Buraku are becoming heterogeneous in terms of economic status and attitude to schooling these days. Some experiments of parents education are implemented and voluntary activities of the parents responsive to the diversification are coming out.
3. Cooperation between day care centers, schools, youth center, parents can be found. People have many meetings, but they cannot make any resolution and solve the problems. Some kind of head quarter is needed to save the situation.
Educational reform is ongoing in our research site. We have made good partnership with educators and parents concerned with our research as well as helped people to start the reform successfully. This is one of the important outcomes of our project.
Research Output (4results)