International Comparative Study of Cender and Power
Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||FACULTY OF SOCIOLOGY TOYO UNIVERSITY|
AMANO Maki FACULTY OF SOCIOLOGY,TOYO UNIVERSITY,professor, 社会学部, 教授 (50106035)
VIANELLO Mino UNIVERSITY OF ROME LA SAPIENZA,ITALY,professor, Professor
ISHIKAWA Akihiro FACULTY OF LITERATURE,CHUOH UNIVERSITY,professor, 文学部, 教授 (80055178)
MATSUURA Chiyo FACULTY OF LAW,TAKUSHOKU UNIVERSITY,professor, 政経学部, 教授 (70181691)
HOSOI Yoko FACULTY OF SOCIOLOGY,TOYO UNIVERSITY,professor, 社会学部, 教授 (80073633)
MINO Vianell University of Roma La Sapienza, ITALY, Professor
|Project Period (FY)
1994 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥7,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥7,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥3,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,600,000)
|Keywords||GENDER / TOP LEADER / POWER STRUCTURE / POLITICAL LEADER / ECONOMICAL LEADER / INTERNATIONAL COMPARISON / SOCIAL CHANGE / COMPARATIVE STUDY / GENDER DISCRIMINATION / 高級官僚 / 男女比較|
1.The purpose of this study is : (1) to participate in cross-national project on gender and power and (2) to research the mechanisms of promotion of women to top leadership position in public life in Japan.
2.Outline of the research for cross-national project on gender and power :
(1) Participants : People who are working for universities and the research institutions in 28 countries.
(2) Title : International Comparative Study of Gender and Power
(3) Objectives :
1) -To provide a theoretical explanation of women's under-representation in positions of power.
2) -To ascertain the patterns of mobility for women in different cultures, concerning their class, family, educational and career background and experiences.
3) -To identify the mechanisms whereby women both achieve leadership positions and overcome the barriers to power in comparison with men.
(4) Methods : The date to be collected are information about the class, family, educational and carreer background and experiences of women and men in top leadership positions in business and politics. The focus is on how they achieved their positions of power, what obstacles they encountered on the way, and how the obstacles were overcome. The date will be collected through a self-administered questionnaire. Countries may choose to supplement the questionnaire with personal interviews with 20% of the respondents. The sample will consist of top leaders in the two sectors of business and electoral politics. These sectors have been chosen because of the importance of the economy and the state in shaping gender divisions in society. The sample size will be 30 women and 30 men from each country, divided equally between the two categories of business and politics.
3.The results of the study : The date which was collected through a self-administered quetionnare in Japan was sent to the coordinator of this study. Japanese participants are getting ready for case study on four countries at present.
Research Products (3results)