Osteoporosis and osseointegrated titanium implant ; successful factors and failure process.
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Showa University|
OZEKI Masahiko Showa University, School of Dentistry Associate Professor, 歯学部, 助教授 (40177225)
|Project Period (FY)
1994 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥7,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥7,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥2,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥2,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥2,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,600,000)
|Keywords||Osteoporosis / Osseointegration / implant / titanium / integration / disintegration / チタン / オッセオインデグレーション / 人工歯根 / 骨結合型チタンインプラント / 骨結合型 / 血清生化学検査 / 卵巣摘出 / 病理組織検査 / チタンインプラント / 骨塩量測定|
1. A test group was two osteoporotic beagle dogs. Controls were four
beagle dogs ; two were aged, and another two were young. A total of 132 titanium implants were placed in the mandible, femurs and shins of the six dogs, and all implants were well integrated from one week later to fifteen months after operation :
2. In a healing process after fixture installation the bone formation of a test group was less and slower, and the binding strength between the fixture and surrounding bone tissue in a test group was far less than in controls.
3. Both the bone remodelling activity and the binding strength between the implant and the new bone tissue were greatly related to the cortical bone in the implant site.
4. All bone anchored prostheses of the mandiblae functioned well in all the experimental period, and all fixtures kept integration completely despite of a long-term overload.
1. A test group was 15 osteoporotic women. Cntrols were 21 men and 10 healthy women. A total of 213 osseointegrated titanium implants were placed in the maxilla and/or mandible, and 212 implants except one were well integrated and functioned.
2. The lost implant was experienced in a osteoporotic patient, and the causes of failure might be a poor mechanical integration at the fixture placement and a shorter healing period before abutment connection.
3. The osteoporotic change of the jaw on the preoperative CT scan was exactly coincided with the pathological finding of the bone biopsy in the implant site.
Osteoporosis can be indicative for osseointegrated titanium implant.
However, because the binding stregth between the fixture and surrounding bone tissue in osteoporosis was far less, it must be careful to apply osseointegrated titanium implant to osteoporotic patient.
Research Products (19results)