BASIC PROBLEM OF ARCHITECTURAL COLOUR PAINTING PATTERNS IN MEDIEVAL TEMPLE
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C).
|Research Institution||KINKI UNIVERSITY|
桜井 敏雄 近畿大学, 理工学部, 教授
SAKURAI Toshio KINKI UNIVERSITY,DEPT.OF ARCHITECTURE,PROFESSOR, 理工学部・建築学科, 教授 (60088424)
大草 一憲 近畿大学, 理工学部・建築学科, 助手 (00088486)
OHKUSA Kazunori KINKI UNIVERSITY,DEPT.OF ARCHITECTURE,RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (00088436)
|Project Fiscal Year
1994 – 1995
Completed(Fiscal Year 1995)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥600,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥1,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,400,000)
|Keywords||Architectural decoration / Interior design / UNGEN-coloring / Decorative pattern / Religious decoration / Bukkyou painting / Temple coloring / Temple painting / 建築装飾 / 内部意匠 / 繧繝装飾 / 装飾文様 / 古建築装飾 / 仏教絵画 / 仏教建築彩色 / 仏教壁画 / 彩色紋様 / 建築彩色 / 建築紋様 / 伝統的紋様 / 建築意匠 / 伝統的彩色 / 装飾的空間 / 彫刻彩色|
Basic design of religious architecture lies mainly on proportion of each member and its each part. Next comes the importance of architectural decoration of painting and coloring patterns. From the beginning main hall and pagoda were painted and colored inside to express the surrounding world of the main buddha image and to decorate the holly SHARI.In the next stage coloring decoration was added to the outside. Successively, coloring decoration was spread in the Heian period, in the Jyohdo-kyou architecture and then to the main hall of Mikkyou architecture. And there is a difference between the pagoda of Nantorokushuu and that of Mikkyou sect in decoration. In the middle age, there appeared geometiric coloring patterns and it went in fashion.
The result made in this study are as followes :
1. There are two types of traditional color painting. One is wall-painting, the other is architectural member painting such as painted on column, Nageshi, Kashiranuki, Mume, and so on.
2. At first colori
ng decoration was made for the ceiling to decorate Tengai. The pattern is mainly of vegetable such as rosetta colored in Ungen method. Gradually, animal pattern painting was put on large architectural member. In the Heian period, the wall at the back of the main buddha image they wrote the splendid world of AMIDA-JYOHDO.
3. After having introduced Mikkyou sect, buddha image painting was made on column and around them geomeric coloring patterns were added up and down. In this sect pagoda was the first important architecture to express the whole world of DAINICHI-NYORAI so that inner space was highly decorated.
4. The geomeric coloring patterns were appeared in the Kamakura period. Hossouge-karakusa pattern changed into Botan-karakusa pattern and Jyoutai-mon as connction pattern was used afterwards.
5. Kinranmaki pattern was appeared in the Kamakura period. The pattern to decorate the upper part of column was recognized in the Nara period, but the pattern was not known in detail. The time goes on, Kinranmaki changes into complicated and decorative one. Botan-karakusa pattern also changes into Noshimon.
6. In the momoyama period all the surface of the architectural members were fulfillled with every traditional pattern with coloring. The greater part of the member was covered with decorative coloring. But the outside of architecture was not colored.
7. It is believed that the main hall in the Zen-sect is usually not colored. But the inner part is decorated with Benigara-coloring, moreover there are some main halls with color painting. It is well known that the upper space of Sanmon in the Zen sect was highly decorated with GOKUSAISHIKI. Less
Research Output (7results)