Basic research for the transmucosal pressure regulation in the middle ear cavity
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||KANSAI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY|
TADA Naoki(1995-1996) KANSAI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY,FACULTY OF MEDICINE,ASSISTANT, 医学部, 助手 (00257932)
木下 卓也(1994) 関西医科大学, 医学部, 助手 (50177888)
KANEKO Akihiro KANSAI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY,FACULTY OF MEDICINE,ASSISTANT, 医学部, 助手 (00247909)
KUBO Nobuo KANSAI MEDICAL UNIVERSITY,FACULTY OF MEDICINE,LECTURER, 医学部, 講師 (70186435)
多田 直樹 関西医科大学, 医学部, 助手 (00257932)
|Project Period (FY)
1994 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥300,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥800,000)
Fiscal Year 1994 : ¥1,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,000,000)
|Keywords||gas exchange, / middle ear, / otitis media with effusion / 中耳腔圧調節 / 経粘膜的換気 / 酸素センサー / 中耳換気 / 中耳腔粘膜|
The purpose of this study was to develop a clinical examination for analyzes of the physiological function in the middle ear (ME).
We studied a test to measure the transmucosal gas exchange capacity and compared normal ears and ears with otitis media with effusion (OME). ME cavity was insufflated with various gases with different compositions (room air, 100% nitrigen, 100% oxygen, mixed gas with 5% carbon dioxide and 95% oxygen). The ME pressure changes due to gas diffusion into or out of the mucosa were recorded by a pressure transducer and a recorder of oxygen partial pressure.
Our study regarding middle ear ventilation mechanisms can be concluded as follows.
1. Middle ear ventilation mechanisms in normal ears
(1) The pressure absorption theory cannot account for middle ear ventilation mechanisms, under physiological conditions.
(2) Transmucosal gas exchange is involved in pressure equilibration in the human middle ear cavity.
2. Ventilatory disorders in otitis media with effusion (OME)
(1) Transmucosal gas exchange capacity in cases of OME differs from that in normal ears.
(2) Oxygen absorption seems to be elevated in case of OME.
(3) Change in transmucosal pressure regulation may be involved in the pathogenesis of OME.
Research Products (2results)