Grant-in-Aid for International Scientific Research.
|Section||Joint Research .|
|Research Institution||TOHOKU UNIVERSITY|
KOMATSU Hiroshi Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Professor, 金属材料研究所, 教授 (00108565)
MUSCHOL Mart アラバマ大学, マイクログラビティーセンター, 助手
VEKILOV Pete アラバマ大学, マイクログラビティーセンター, 助手
FRANZ Rosenb アラバマ大学マイクログラビティーセンター, 教授
佐崎 元 東北大学, 金属材料研究所, 助手 (60261509)
中田 俊隆 東北大学, 金属材料研究所, 助手 (20237308)
宮下 哲 東北大学, 金属材料研究所, 助手 (00219776)
THOMAS Bill Center for Microgravity and Materials Research, University of Alabama, マイクログラビティーセンター, 助手
ROSENBERGER アラバマ大学, マイクログラビティーセンター, 教授
帯刀 益夫 東北大学, 加齢医学研究所, 教授 (10099971)
MUSHOL Martin Center for Microgravity and Materials Research, University of Alabama
VEKILOV Peter Center for Microgravity and Materials Research, University of Alabama
ROSENBERGER Franz Center for Microgravity and Materials Research, University of Alabama
NAKADA Toshitaka Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University
SAZAKI Gen Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University
OBINATA Masuo Institute of development Aging and Cancer, Tohoku Univ.
MIYASHITA Satoru Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University
|Project Fiscal Year
1995 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥9,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥9,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥4,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥4,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,900,000)
|Keywords||proteins / lysozyme / crystal growth / impurity effect / two beam interferometry / light scattering / solubility / effect of magnetic field / 蛋白質 / リゾチーム / 結晶成長 / 不純物効果 / 二光束干渉法 / 光散乱法 / 溶解度 / 磁場効果 / タンパク質 / 濃度分布|
Achievements of this year are as follows ;
1. The Japanese group (J-group) measured solubilities of tetragonal, orthorhombic and triclinic form of hen egg white lysozyme (HEW lysozyme) using two beam interferometry.
2. J-group developed an interferometic method to measure the refractive index inside crystals (HEW lysozyme).
3. J-group got highly purified HEW lysozyme samples using HPLC.With this sample, they observed crystal interfaces using atomic force microscopy. This result was discussed with the American group (A-group) comparing with A-group's result.
4. J-group tried to perform crystallization of HEW lysozyme in a high magnetic field. And they found that it could control the nucleation rate and orientation of crystals.
5. Appoferritin (A-group) and ferritin (J-group) were highly purified and then crystallized. They showed again that removement of impurities is indispensable for growth of crystals of high quality. J-group made a morphodrom of ferritin.
6. A-group performed light scatte
ring experiments of HEW lysozyme solution and discuss the aggregation process. They estimated the second virial coefficient of the solution and discussed relation between ion intensity and intermolecular interaction.
7. A-group precisely measured topography of vicinal surface with use of the laser interferometry and obtained time evolution of normal and step growth rates and slope of the vicinal surfaces.
8. A-group found that there existed a region where HEW lysozyme solution separated into two liquid phases. They made a phase diagram for this segregation with use of the light scattering technique.
9. In order to estimate the solution layr thickness where convection is ignored, A-grup performed computer simulation of the concentration profiles around a growing crystal changing thickness of the solution layr. J-group measured concentration profiles around a growing lysozyme crystal changing the thickness of the cell. These results were compared each other.
10. J-group measured solubility of HEW lysozyme in situ in high pressure. Pressure dependence of the growth rate was also studied. Less