DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW,AUTOMATIC SAMPLERF OR COLLECTION OF DEEP-SEA HYDROTHERMAL FLUIDS
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||HIROSHIMA UNIVERSITY|
NAGANUMA Takeshi HIROSHIMA UNIVERSITY FACULTY OF APPLIED BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR8. INVESTIGATORS, 生物生産学部, 助教授 (70263738)
KYO Masanori JAPAN MARINE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CENTER DEEP SEA TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT RESEAR, 深海開発技術部, 研究員
FUJIOKA Kantaro JAPAN MARINE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CENTER DEEP SEA RESEARCH DEPA TMENT RESEARCH, 深海研究部, 研究主幹
KAMIMURA Kazuo AGENCY OF INDUSTRIAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY CHUGOKU NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH I, 中国工業技術研究所, 主任研究官
SEKI Humitake UNIVERSITY OF TSUKUBA INSTITUTE OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES PROFESSOR, 生物科学系, 教授 (80013572)
NAKAI Toshiharu HIROSHIMA UNIVERSITY FACULTY OF APPLIED BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, 生物生産学部, 助教授 (60164117)
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥3,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥3,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,100,000)
|Keywords||deep-sea / Hydrothermal vent / Shape memory alloy / Microorganisms / Shinkai 2000 / 海底熱水系 / 採水器|
A.DEVELOPMENTO OF A NEW,AUTOMATIC HYDROTHERAMAL FLUID SAMPLER
(1) The sampler was designed to employ a shape memory alloy that allows simultaneous sensing of high temperature and activatation of the valve and the suction mechanisms.
(2) The sampler was designed to be be down-sized and down-weighted for easier manipulation by submersibles and other deep-sea vehicles. It was thus designed to collect 100 ml of a fluid sample, to be cylinder-shaped, and to be made mostly of aluminum and Teflon.
(3) A shape memory alloy was prepared specifically for the use of the sampler.
(4) The sampler was assembled and tested in the land-based laboratory.
B.IN SITU TEST OF THE NEW,AUTOMATIC HYDROTHERMAL FLUID SAMPLER
(1) The sampler was tested, with thesubmersible Shinkai 2000, at a deep-sea hydrothermal vent in a submarine vilcanic crater (1374m deep), which emitted super-heated fluid of up to 298ﾟC.The fluid collection was successful.
(2) Abundant microorganisms was observed in the fluid collected by the sampler. The microbial abundance was as high as 10^5-10^6ml^<-1>, which is 10-100 times higher than those known for similar water depth. DNA was recovered from the collected microorganisms, and 16SrDNA sequences were analyzed therefrom. Certain 16SrDNA was found to be closely realted to that of Shwanella sp., which is a barophilic species.
(3) Chemical analysis of the fiuids collecte by the sampler revealed that the much seawater was entrained into the sample fluid. Our sampler was designed to collect theoretically 100% pure hydrothermal fluid, but it did not. The ratio of entrainment was 48-90%. The reason of the seawater entrainment is supposed to be that the suction was too fast to collect only the hydrothermal fluid moderately.
Research Output (6results)