DEVELOPMENT OF BIO-ACTIVE ARTIFICIAL BONE WITH THE SIMILLAR MECHANICAL PROPERTIES TO NATURAL BONE
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
Biomedical engineering/Biological material science
|Research Institution||Tokyo Institute of Technology|
YOSHIMURA Masahiro Materials and Structures Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology Professor, 応用セラミックス研究所, 教授 (10016826)
OKAMOTO Kengo Central Research Institute, Mitsubishi Materials Corporation, 中央研究所, 研究員
KUROSAWA Hisashi Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tokyo Teishin Hospital Director, 整形外科, 部長(研究職)
IOKU Koji Faculty of Engineering, Yamaguchi University Associate Professor, 工学部, 助教授 (60212726)
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
|Keywords||Hydroxyapatite / Calcium Phosphate / Apatite Composite / Bio-Compatibility / Fracture Toughness / Whisker / Artificial Bone / 破壊靱性 / 水熱合成 / 複合材料 / 生体活性セラミックス / リン酸三カルシウム|
The maximum problem for the artificial bone in orthopaedic surgery is the loosening between materials and natural bones. The purpose of the present research was the devolopment of the artificial bone without the loosening. Here we prepared hydroxyapatite (Ca_<10> (PO_4)_6 (OH)_2 : HA) bio-compatible composites with the selilar mechanical properties to natural bones, then the composites were characterized.
(1) Phase transition in hydroxyapatite
The monoclinic*hexagonal phase transition in the pure and stoichiometric HA was detected at the temperatures from 473K to 483K by X-ray diffraction and thermal analysis.
(2) Preparation of hydroxyapatite whiskers
HA whiskers were prepared hydrothermally at 200ﾟC from the solution containing calcium and phosphate ions and lactic acid as a chelating agent. The diameter and length of the whiskers were in the range of 1-10 mum and 30-50 mum. The whiskers were slight calcium deficient HA,but the reaction with calcite at 600ﾟC allows the control of Ca/P ra
tio of the whiskers up to the stoichiometric value of 1.67.
(3) Preparation of hydroxyapatite/hydroxyapatite (whiskers) composites
For the first time in the histry of HA ocmposites, HA reinforced with HA whiskers was prepared by hot-pressing and HIP'ing. This composite had about 100% higher toughness than the non-reinforced pure HA.
(4) Preparation of hydroxyapatite/bioactive glass laminated composites
Laminated HA/bioactive glass composits was prepared by hot-pressing. beta-NaCaPO_4 was found as a weak interface belong to high toughness ceramic composites of HA.
(5) In vivo reaction for microstructure designed porous ceramics of hydroxyapatite and calcium phosphates Microstructure controlled HA.beta-TCP and HA/beta-TCP porous composites were implanted into the femoral condyles of adult rabbits. New bone formation and bio-degradation of those materials were analyzed quantitatively. The rate of bone formation an bio-degradation depended on the pore size and its distribution and the ratio of HA and beta-TCP. Less
Research Products (20results)