The Formation and Development of Ichi and Cho in the Inland Sea Region-the social-historical and historical-geographical researches of the urban space in the early modern
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||HIROSHIMA UNIVERSITY|
NAKAYAMA Tomihiro Education, Hiroshima University Assistant Professor, 教育学部, 助教授 (50198280)
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1997
Completed(Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥1,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥300,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥200,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥1,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,000,000)
|Keywords||jichi-toshi / cho / toshiyori / machi-okite / ton'ya-nakama / wholesale business / 町組 / 小路 / 月行司 / 問屋制 / 町(ちょう) / 問屋 / 市場 / 港町 / 市|
The purpose of this article is clarify the characteristics of (1) the formation of ichi and cho, (2) the loads, economic activities, and residential space of the cho-nin and merchants, (3) the self-governing body in the urban space in the Inland Sea region at the beginning of the early modern, by analyzing Onomichi, Bingo. The Summaries are as follows :
1. THE URBAN SPACE OF ONOMICHI AND THE FORMATION OF CHO
(1) In the late Middle ages, Onomichi remarkablly developed as an urban community, incorporating market places in its monzen space.
(2) Onomichi was less identified as a monzen space from the age of civil wars to the beginning of the early modern, because the reclamation of its coast encouraged the new type of merchants who would have the autonomy of Onomichi later to emerge.
(3) The urban space of Onomichi was structured into the system called "cho (or koji) -cho-gumi-so-gumi", which united the urban commoners.
(4) In the 1610's, the self-governing body began to be managed by 5 toshiyori people and 60 gatsugyoji, and then the development of cho advanced.
2. THE ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES OF THE URBAN COMMONERS
(1) In the half ot the 17th century, the urban commoners in the Inland Sea region were officially permitted to organize kabunakama, instead of taking yuku and keeping peace there.
(2) Wholesale business had been already formed in Onomichi in the 17th century although ton'ya-nakama may not have been.
In the 18th century, all kinds of shonin-nakama developed goods dealings and financial business, and the self-governing body was more improved. This could be the starting point for the modern commerce in Onomichi.
Research Output (7results)