Effect of Jet Ignition on the Flame Propagation Process of Premixed Compressed by Piston
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Faculty of Engineering, Gifu University|
WAKAI Kazunori Gifu Univ., Fac. of Eng., Professor, 工学部, 教授 (50021621)
KITOU Shunsuke Toyoda Tech. College., Dept. of Mechanical. Eng., Research Associate, 助手 (80270271)
SAKAI Shinji Gifu Univ., Fac. of Eng., Research Associate, 工学部, 助手 (00021791)
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1996
Completed(Fiscal Year 1996)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥800,000)
Fiscal Year 1995 : ¥1,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,500,000)
|Keywords||combustion / ignition / compressed gas / jet ignition / cool flame / radical / knocking / jet ignition|
Jet igniters have been thought to have a big potential to ignite very lean mixtures in the engine cylinder. However the mechanism of the enhancement is not made clear and the radical's effect is anticipated that it might induce the engine knocking. This research project is done to make clear this point. In the first year, Rapid Compression Machine and Livengood-Wu integral was employed to prove the effect. Next items are the result.
1) Rate constants like activation energy are obtained first. The accuracy is much better than those values presented in the previous repots.
2) Integrated amount of rate equation (which corresponds Livengood-Wu integral) from the compression start to the cool flame onset along the combustion history of the jet ignition doesn't differ from that of normal ignition case, namely, the radical doesn't affected on the cool flame onset.
3) There appears a roll-up vortex and the ignition seems to start from it.
In the second year, the same experiment was performed for w
ide range of jet condition, moreover the temperature distribution is measured using resistance wire CT which was developed by this research team.
1) Radical effect was increased to make plasma jet energy bigger and to make jet nozzle diameter bigger, however the Livengood-Wu integral didn't differ from conventional ignition cases, namely, the radical effect on the cool flame onset was denied.
2) Resistance wire CT method was developed to easily measure transient two dimensional temperature distribution in a closed chamber. It was applied to measure temperature distribution of roll-up vortex which was generated in the rapid compression machine.
3) Temperature distribution of roll-up vortex was detected but is was not strong distribution and the bulk temperature was a good approximation for the real temperature.
Results of first year were presented on the 3rd Asia-pacific International Symposium on Combustion and Energy Utilization and the results of second year are going to be presented on the symposium of internal combustion held by JSME in Sept. '97. They are also going to be submitted to JSME transactions. Less
Research Products (4results)